Idea (Survey 2.0). Ability to change the Question Type (Format) when Creating Survey.

Related products: None

I seem to run into this a lot when working on building Survey’s for people in my organization.  They layout the survey in the question format they want...and then after seeing or talking to others they want to change it.  So as of now, you have to create a new question in the new format, and then delete the old one. 

It would be awesome if while the Survey was in draft, you had the ability to modify the question type (format) to another. :grin:

@sagan_sherlin I am working to see whether there is an alternate way to do this, I will let you know soon. 

@sagan_sherlin In draft, survey user can change the control type for Multiple Choice and Matrix-type questions.

For example, changing from Single Select to Multi-select is possible. But changing to a totally different question type is not supported.

For example, changing from rating question to text type question is not supported.

Hi @sai_ram! Thank you for that!  In my case, I get requests for ‘text’ questions - though I often don’t recommend it because of this issue.  They still request the survey in the way they submitted originally - only to go back and rewrite the questions so that they are a drop down, or a matrix.  So it would be really cool, while in draft to be able to change the question type itself.

@sagan_sherlin How often do you get into this issue? I want to understand the frequency of the problem. 

I would like the ability to change a Text Question to a Multiple choice question

I’d really like to be able to change from a multiple choice checkbox to multiple choice radio button. In my use case, I have a question that’s currently a checkbox - but after running the survey for sometime we now want it to be a radio button. Same question, same answers, we just don’t want multiple selections yet it can’t be changed, I’d have to delete the question and add a new one which would produce the data in two different fields.