Gender-neutral Gainsight bot option?

Related products: None

Hi there,

Would it be possible having a gender-neutral Gainsight bot option?

Thanks!

@Angel Valerio could you please add few lines to understand better.

Sure thing. Thank you for the speedy response!

Currently, the only option available for the Gainsight bot is “Sally” (to the best of my knowledge)

https://support.gainsight.com/SFDC_Edition/Sally_AI_Bot/User_Guides/Sally_-_the_Gainsight_bot_Overview

Our team is wondering if there can be a gender-neutral option. 

An interesting article here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/anniebrown/2021/04/30/brilliance-knows-no-gender-eliminating-bias-in-chatbot-development/?sh=78143b994e14

Please let me know if you need me to provide more details. Thanks!

@Angel Valerio thanks for bringing this to our notice. I have made a note of this and will look into it. As of now, I will not be able to commit to a change right away. 

I actually set up a Gainsight community account this morning to share this Product Idea. I learned of Gainsight Sally this morning when I received a Slack notification. I learned that you are unable to change the name of this bot. 

I’d encourage the Gainsight team to lead the way instead of jumping into the AI/bot gender bias bandwagon. For years, AI assistants and bots have been given names and voices of females. Seems harmless enough, but I’ll share some points on the damage they contribute to,

• Reinforces the societal pressure for women to be other-oriented
  • Reinforces harmful and discriminatory behavior towards women
  • Reinforces stereotypes of women only being suited for service-oriented and administrative employment
  • Teaches children to expect compliance from females
  • Reinforces stereotypes that females must be helpful and compliant at all times
  • We are more likely to adopt the belief that women should be assistants as we are exposed to a certain gender association (like names in an assistant chat bot)

If this is news to you, do a search for “AI gender bias” “Voice assistant gender bias” “chat bot gender bias” and you’ll find a mix of both articles and academic research on the topic.

What will happen if you ship this feature? Well, you could say not much. Just like unconscious bias, most people won’t be aware of this change affecting them. This won’t directly impact your bottom line or make your Accounts in risk of not renewing happy. You might even get some complaining that they liked the old name. 

When we work on technology that reaches thousands of people though, I believe we have the responsibility to create with ethics in mind. I hope this is an idea you can consider for that reason.

Thank you sharing your thoughts @security_lion. I am looping in the current Product Manager for Sally @arunabhat