Formatting of the Timeline notes gets lost when syncing to SFDC

Related products: None

Support confirmed that what we are seeing on the Salesforce side of this sync is actually known/expected behavior.

In the UI, the rich text is respected and saved accordingly, however when it is synced back to Salesforce, it is saved as plaintext, therefore all formatting is stripped out and it will appear in that way.

The only way to view this with richtext is to view it in the Timeline view in the CS360.

--> Is this something that will be improved in the future? For the AE's it is not be that ideal for follow-up if they have to read through the block of text the Coaches made on the account.
Thanks for sharing, Ruth!

The comments/description field on SF Tasks doesn't support rich-text, but it does make sense to maintain basic spacing when syncing over. We'll definitely review and plan to take it up soon. 

Would you also be interested in having the Timeline available in our Account widget?
Thanks for your reply Manu. It would be good to have it work the same way as the CTA-tasks sync to SFDC. 

This strips out the bold and underlining but at least keeps the spacing, so it is easy to read.

Can you clarify what you mean with " Timeline available in our Account widget?"
Gainsight has widgets that can be added to the Salesforce Account and Opportunity pages. We are planning to include Timeline there to support broader visibility and consumption. 
That would be great. Do you already have an example on how this would look?

Do I understand correctly that would replace the syncs to the "Activities" in SFDC? 
Should be similar to the current design, added as another tab most likely. But I'll share specifics with you soon. You can find more information on the widgets here.

Not exactly a replacement for SF Activities, as you might have other processes that depend on that information being in SF. But we do want to expose the Timeline and all its features to other Gainsight interfaces.
I would very much like to see Timeline added to the SFDC widget. I think this would be very helpful for the sales team to help provide context on the recent communications that have occurred with their customers.
Thanks for posting, Gabe. We are actively working on adding Timeline to our SF widgets. Would most likely be available in the next release (Summer/Aug).
Hi,

We are now honoring the basic text formatting (line space, hyperlink, etc.) while syncing activities to salesforce. Any new or updated activities will be now synced in the proper format.

And as Manu said, timeline in widgets will be available in Aug release.

Thanks,

Nitisha
We've gotten feedback from our CSMs and AEs (who don't use GS) that the formatting of Timeline activities synced to SFDC is still not very readable, particularly when the activity has bullet points. We understand this is a SFDC field limitation but are there any plans to improve this sync?

Hello! Although I see via this post that the change has been implemented, I wanted to highlight that my team is still experiencing these formatting issues. I wanted to see if there any plans to improve this in the future?

@Sam_Schumacher Sorry for the inconvenience, thanks for bringing this up here! I will check this with my team and get back to you.

@Sam_Schumacher is it possible for you to share the source and the screenshot for better understanding 

@Sam_Schumacher did you get a chance to view my comments here?

Hey this actually looks like it is working now! Thank you so much for your quick help on this! I will report back if I see anything different. 

@Sam_Schumacher Great to hear! Thanks for the update. 

I’m finding that the line spacing of the notes/description field in SF is really strange for events created via the timeline sync. 

One paragraph gets broken up in to multiple lines, and then the next paragraph is 3 or 4 blank lines after that. 

Gainsight timeline (notes) highlighted so you can see spacing:

Salesforce event (description) again highlighted so you can see spacing. There is no reason for a new line to begin after has, there is still lots of width available in this field; 

We post some of our timeline entries through to Slack (via Zapier) the formatting of these on desktop isn’t great either (as the text doesn’t go full width) and on mobile looks even worse with the huge spaces between each paragraph. 

Slack desktop (again tons of space on the right):

Slack mobile:

Is there anything that can done here? I’ve tried to fix via formatting step in Zapier but it just removes all line breaks and puts everything in one paragraph which is also unreadable. 

I’m finding that the line spacing of the notes/description field in SF is really strange for events created via the timeline sync. 

One paragraph gets broken up in to multiple lines, and then the next paragraph is 3 or 4 blank lines after that. 

Gainsight timeline (notes) highlighted so you can see spacing:

Salesforce event (description) again highlighted so you can see spacing. There is no reason for a new line to begin after has, there is still lots of width available in this field; 

We post some of our timeline entries through to Slack (via Zapier) the formatting of these on desktop isn’t great either (as the text doesn’t go full width) and on mobile looks even worse with the huge spaces between each paragraph. 

Slack desktop (again tons of space on the right):

Slack mobile:

Is there anything that can done here? I’ve tried to fix via formatting step in Zapier but it just removes all line breaks and puts everything in one paragraph which is also unreadable. 

@HollySimmons Thanks for bringing this to our notice. I am redirecting this our support team for better debugging. 

@sai_ram Hi Sai, I wanted to share that our CSM team has reported the same issues with some timeline activities that are being synce to Salesforce. Mostly older ones, here is an example: 

As you may notice the information in Salesforce loose all the spacing between the sentences.

Do we have to submit a ticket to support to review this?

Thanks for your help.

@sai_ram Hi Sai, I wanted to share that our CSM team has reported the same issues with some timeline activities that are being synce to Salesforce. Mostly older ones, here is an example: 

As you may notice the information in Salesforce loose all the spacing between the sentences.

Do we have to submit a ticket to support to review this?

Thanks for your help.

@andresvargas2018 sorry for the inconvenience. I have created support cricket for this. Our team will get back to you on this.

Thanks a lot @sai_ram I will work with support!:sunglasses: