Feature Request: Ability to Change the Activity Type in Timeline

Related products: None

We have created a number of custom activity types in the timeline in addition to the default ones. Often, we may review the timeline entries and we may come across scenarios where the entry has been logged incorrectly/or upon review the business type has changed and will need to be amended retrospectively.

It would be great to have the ability to amend the Activity type. The current workaround is to delete the existing Activity and recreate with the original activity date, however other dependancies such as related follow up tasks/attachments etc may be lost or affected.

+1 to this request!

I get these questions from our reps constantly and like above, only workaround is to delete the activity and create a new one.

Changing the type on an activity should be a standard out of the box setting. Like in Salesforce, it's a very common thing to incorporate into a workflow to just change the type of the activity instead of closing/deleting and then creating a new task with the correct type. It seems strange that this would be restricted but would love this to be an option in the future.

@nadeem and @manmeet_dosanjh sorry for the inconvenience and I agree with you, but Gainsight activity type works differently. Every Activity type form has different fields, so changing the activity type will create problems while updating.

For Instance: Activity type "Meeting" may have some other fields as mandatory and "Email" may have other fields as mandatory.

I will also check the possibilities with the product team. Thanks for bringing this up.

I read a different entry that stated being able to change an activity type is on the works, especially if it is created via BCC need to change it from an email to a meeting.  

Thank you,

Diane Hastings  

This is in progress and will be available in Q2.

+1000 as we have simplified our activity types, we are looking to convert past types to current ones without the needs to “trick” reporting or build overly complex rules. To what @hpritchard said below… being able to move an activity,  (cta or success plan for bonus points) from one account to another would be cool too!

+1 for this. In addition, our CSMs who work with multiple divisions of a single company may log the CTA to the wrong company record (really we’re finding that we have the same contacts on multiple companies, and the new Gmail assist doesn’t associate them correctly or put them in draft). We need to be able to change the company record on a timeline entry after it’s been logged.  

This feature will be available by end of July for end users (might be a part of early access in July) and mass editing activity types will be available in Q3.

@nitisha_rathi Can you please confirm if this feature is available (to change activity type for timeline via UI)?

Ability to change activity type is available now. 

Hello everyone, we have an article that explains the details of changing the Activity Type of an existing Activity. You should be able to review this article here.