Export Option in Timeline

Related products: None

I thought this would be a nice feature to add to Timeline (more so the global Timeline) but would be great in either. Similar to how CSMs are able to export a list of their CTAs to a CSV file, it would be great addition if the CSM could export the Timeline activities into a CSV file.

The use case here is that in global timeline, CSMs might search for some keywords, e.g. anytime a competitor to our product is mentioned in the subject or notes. If the CSM was to filter to these activities and export to excel, with the subject, notes, contacts information all included that would be very helpful for our team.

Hi Manmeet,

Thanks for the idea. What actions would you be taking via the excel file. Can you share few use-cases?

Thanks,

Nitisha

Hi Nitisha,

I was just now searching the option to export the global timeline.

My use-case: Our integrations team is looking into which integrations to develop next based on which tools are our clients using. I wanted to export the notes from our CSMs who log in the tools the clients use in the timeline. I would like to share the export with the integrations team.

I can imagine this feature would be needed anytime you need to share certian data you collect from the customers with the rest of the company. It's actually quite limiting when you have the data only in GS and no way to get it out.

Hope you add this soon.

Mirka

Hi Mirka,

Understood your use-case, thanks for sharing. We will consider this enhancement in future.

To solve this problem now, you can create a report on ActivityTimeline object and export it as an excel/csv. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Nitisha

Hi Mirka,

Understood your use-case, thanks for sharing. We will consider this enhancement in future.

To solve this problem now, you can create a report on ActivityTimeline object and export it as an excel/csv. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Nitisha

I would also love to see this feature, and an alternative export to .pdf would also be helpful.

We haven't yet rolled out timeline en masse becuase we want to be mindful of the administrative overhead we are introducing to teams in keeping timeline up to date. We want to prescribe what is captured here to ensure it is relevant/important content.

Our use case for an export feature would be for executive briefings on history of the client in advance of the client visiting our HQ. Executive participants in the client meeting would include non-Gainsight license holders, therefore an export would be necessary.

I appreciate the workaround of a report offered by @nitisha_rathi, but for an executive briefing a .pdf format would be prefered over excel. It would also be useful to be able to limit the export to certain activity type(s) within timeline.

This would allow us to create an activity type of executive summary, prescribe a template on data-points to capture, and drive a quarterly update cadence with client-facing teams. We could then export on demand and distribute information in advance of client meetings.

I would like to see this feature as well. I am tracking leadership touchpoints with my team's accounts and this would enable me to see where I may need to spend more time with customers without asking the admin team to create a specific report.

@nitisha_rathi How do you ensure the xlsx is formatted properly? I wrote a report to export the timeline and I have an unusable xlsx due to the html tags in some of the timeline entries.

@nitisha_rathi When I need to export timeline entries I write a report and then export it. As long as the number of rows returned is less than 5000 the file downloads as xlsx and the formatting is perfect. If there are more than 5000 rows the file is emailed as a csv and the formatting is terrible due to rich text in the entries. The same holds for trying to export scorecard comments. This seems like an excel issue, but to help get around this could you increase the number of rows that download in xlsx format before you resort to sending a csv through email?

We need this as well! Mainly because I want to be able to search (bonus - search for one of multiple key words) and then export the activities that meet that criteria. I want the keywords to search the notes,  so it can’t just be done as a report since you can’t include the notes field as a report filter.

+1.

Nice to have an option to export the timeline entries from Timeline section.

Thanks for your inputs. I have added it to the roadmap.

would love to be able export the notes, CTA, timeline activity subject, date, author etc in the exportable report.

I added this before I saw this post https://community.gainsight.com/cs-ideas-21/text-analytics-for-timeline-keywords-in-the-form-of-an-exportable-report-37964

Our users have requested this

One of my clients had also requested a similar functionality. Use case: providing an overview of key actions taken with regard to risk accounts in order to provide to internal executives.

Hi Any update to this request? Can we export Timeline to an excel file ?

It would be great if this could export to PDF for account reviews and to easily share the timeline with the client. The Report export to CSV works but it’s not as nicely formatted.

We can export Timeline via report builder but directly giving export option in Timeline is not planned in the short term. It is on our long term roadmap.

Can you tell me what object is the Timeline in?  I am fairly new to Gainsight and not an admin, but have worked on some basic reports.  If you can provide an example that would be great

@wmurthy, in the Report Builder, you can select the Activity Timeline source object to report on activity data. To report on External Attendee and Internal Attendee data, select the Activity Attendee object as your source. 

Here’s what GS Support states in their article for Nxt

This article explains the process of creating a Report which displays all of the Activity subjects.

To create Report:

1. Navigate to Administration > Report Builder.
  2. Click + REPORT.
  3. Select Activity Timeline as the source object.

6.16 NXT Timeline AdNav Redesign Activity Timeline Source Object.jpg

1. Select the Reporting Category and Name (this is company name) fields in the Show me section. You can add other fields, as required. This report generates the list of Companies and groups them as per their reporting categories
  2. Click RUN. The report is generated.

Select report objects.GIF

Create Reports on Attendees: You can now use the Timeline Internal Attendees and External Attendees fields in Reporting. To accomplish this task, Gainsight provides the following components:

• Internal Attendees and External Attendees fields: The Activity Timeline object is now enhanced with two new fields; Internal Attendees and External Attendees. These fields return the list of internal and external attendees (respectively), who attended a particular meeting.
  • Activity Attendee Object: A new junction object called Activity Attendee has been introduced. This object has Activity ID and internal and external Attendee ID fields. You can use this object while creating rules or reports which are based on an attribute of a person.

Note: When you type the name of a Person (attendee) in the filter field, ensure that you enter the exact name of the person. You cannot find name suggestions based on the characters entered.

Business Use cases:

• Create a report on the list of activities, organized with a particular person(s) (internal or external) in the past one month, quarter, or year. To accomplish this, use Activity Timeline as the source object and add the required fields in the Show me section. Use the Internal Attendees/External Attendees field in the filter area and enter the name of the required person.

Timeline_report.gif

• Create a report in which a particular internal or external attendee was involved.
  • Create a report which enlists internal or external attendees who have not attended any meeting in a given period of time.

• Review the internal attendees who attended meetings with a customer, who recently churned out.

Anything we can do to encourage self-sufficiency and collaboration I am :100:% onboard! 

“Take my vote!”

@wmurthy, in the Report Builder, you can select the Activity Timeline source object to report on activity data. To report on External Attendee and Internal Attendee data, select the Activity Attendee object as your source. 

This article explains the process of creating a Report which displays all of the Activity subjects.

To create Report:

2. Click + REPORT.

1. Select the Reporting Category and Name (this is company name) fields in the Show me section. You can add other fields, as required. This report generates the list of Companies and groups them as per their reporting categories

Create Reports on Attendees: You can now use the Timeline Internal Attendees and External Attendees fields in Reporting. To accomplish this task, Gainsight provides the following components:

• Internal Attendees and External Attendees fields: The Activity Timeline object is now enhanced with two new fields; Internal Attendees and External Attendees. These fields return the list of internal and external attendees (respectively), who attended a particular meeting.
  • Activity Attendee Object: A new junction object called Activity Attendee has been introduced. This object has Activity ID and internal and external Attendee ID fields. You can use this object while creating rules or reports which are based on an attribute of a person.

Note: When you type the name of a Person (attendee) in the filter field, ensure that you enter the exact name of the person. You cannot find name suggestions based on the characters entered.

Business Use cases:

• Create a report on the list of activities, organized with a particular person(s) (internal or external) in the past one month, quarter, or year. To accomplish this, use Activity Timeline as the source object and add the required fields in the Show me section. Use the Internal Attendees/External Attendees field in the filter area and enter the name of the required person.

Timeline_report.gif

• Create a report in which a particular internal or external attendee was involved.
  • Create a report which enlists internal or external attendees who have not attended any meeting in a given period of time.

• Review the internal attendees who attended meetings with a customer, who recently churned out.

Appreciate your help

You’re most welcome!

To create Report:

2. Click + REPORT.

Business Use cases:

Timeline_report.gif

@jean.nairon Thanks for the quick help! Kudos for the above content. 

Thanks much. I appreciate