Export function from Data Designer

Related products: None

I’d like the ability to export the data returned in queries created in Data Designer. Currently you must create a dataspace from the design, create a report in report builder to then export.

Use case: I’m typically validating data when first creating a new data space and would like to export and review the data in excel.

Hi @harriseilenberg 

Thanks for posting this. I have a few questions for you - 

• Do you want to use excel to validate the data? 
  • What all actions to you perform to validate? 

We have the explore tab of Data Designer so that you can explore your data and make sure this is what you need. I wanted to understand if this is able to solve your need to review the data and if it doesnt, where does it fall short. 

Hi @rakesh,

Yes, excel would be the best format for the export.

I’m typically validating the data against another data source, so VLOOKUPs and pivot tables primarily.

I would also like to use the data designer for one-off analysis from time to time. Rather than creating multiple reports, exporting those and joining in excel, it would be great to create a single data space and be able to export the results. This information typically needs to be distributed internally via Google sheets / slides.

+1, it would be very helpful if we could export reports directly from Data Designer 

We are considering multiple export options from data designer as a part of the medium term roadmap

Just came across this issue and thought it was a little silly that I would be required to make the dataset universally available when the only reason I was creating this design was to for a one-off anomaly data cleanup. +1 on this please!

End Proctoring-

Hi All,

We are planning on adding S3 export capability to Data designer (kind of like rules, but much simpler) in a relatively shorter time horizon.  Excel exports in explore page is something that's still a bit further away. I’ll need more votes/comments to get this idea prioritized over other important ones.

I was going to make a post about this, then saw it already had one, and apparently, I’d even voted for it.

Just adding my thoughts on this to help with prioritization:

What I would use it for, and I think others as well, is just to export a table of data from the explore stage of DD. The export needs to be a really simple, one button process similar to exporting data from regular reporting. I’d imagine it at the top or bottom in these general areas somewhere:

Like others have said, this is mostly for validation, POC against other data so speed and simplicity are really the important thing. Start simple and then add to it if needed.

I came across this need recently for troubleshooting an anomaly, much like @gunjanm mentioned. Sometimes I use DataDesigner as a workspace/sandbox of sorts and really don’t intend to make a permanent dataset. I find the Explore section tedious because you have to re-add all the fields you want to see. Much like the preview pane in the initial setup of the design, I’d like to just see all of the data appear at once instead of having to click around further. This is the expected behavior with an export to Excel or Google Sheets. All of the data available immediately in a versatile way.

Hi All,

We are planning on adding S3 export capability to Data designer (kind of like rules, but much simpler) in a relatively shorter time horizon.  Excel exports in explore page is something that's still a bit further away. I’ll need more votes/comments to get this idea prioritized over other important ones.

@All, this is planned for next releases. 

Any update on this? Went down the path of making a DD for a one-time report, not realizing I couldn’t export it. It would have saved time to just create this in the rules engine to export. 

Any update on this? Went down the path of making a DD for a one-time report, not realizing I couldn’t export it. It would have saved time to just create this in the rules engine to export. 

@kelly We do have S3 export in DD as well and you can export data from DD directly. 
Exporting reports data in DD is a bit further in our roadmap.

Just adding my voice here! I ran into the same issue just the other day -- DD is a great tool for reporting on data across objects in a user friendly way, but I was disappointed when I made my report in the Explore section and couldn’t export that data unless I made the dataset universally available. I had an ad-hoc report request come through from Marketing operations, and I’d love to get people the data they need without creating a separate object in the MDA for it each time. (Or, using rules S3 export...)

Just adding my voice here! I ran into the same issue just the other day -- DD is a great tool for reporting on data across objects in a user friendly way, but I was disappointed when I made my report in the Explore section and couldn’t export that data unless I made the dataset universally available. I had an ad-hoc report request come through from Marketing operations, and I’d love to get people the data they need without creating a separate object in the MDA for it each time. (Or, using rules S3 export...)

Hi @sarahmiracle  

You can export the data which is prepared in DD today. Its from Execution History, not from inside Explore Screen. 

I believe this will perfectly solve the usecase you mentioned

@rakesh thank you! I didn’t know that was possible, and that will be helpful for situations where I need the full dataset.

However, that gives me the full data set, and what I’m looking for is the ability to export the report that I create in Explore off of the full data set after it is executed (with my own filters, SHOW ME fields, etc)

+1 to this; would be great to have this as an option.  I often use DD as a precursor to building a rule. I export to excel for data validation purposes.  Creating native excel export within DD will remove the extra step of creating a system object and building a report from this.  Looking forward to seeing this in an upcoming release!

Agree with all the posts here.  Often times I’m building a DD for one specific use case, but could see it having additional uses down the road, so I default to having the dataset show more, and then, use the reporting to filter down to what I want for that particular use case. With some of the way DDs function, it makes things quite cumbersome → making changes to the DD, refreshing the DD, going to report builder, updating the report, going back to DD, making another change, refreshing the DD, going back to report builder, etc.

I just ran into this issue again. I just have one simple report I need to export with about 20 records in it. It’s only achievable via Data Designer, but it does not need to live in the MDA. I’d like to simply be able to export it from DD and be done with it rather than create unnecessary overhead in both the MDA and report builder.

Glad to hear that this is planned in the latest July release!!!

https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/Release_Notes/01_Current_Release_Notes_-_2023/Gainsight_NXT_Release_Notes_6.37_July_2023#Download_and_Analyze_Report_Data_From_Explore_Step