Dynamic dashboard reports

Related products: CS Reports & Dashboards

Working with a customer we found that reports are not dynamically updated in dashboard after making changes to the report itself.

If there is a global filter present in that report and the report is impacted by any global filter then we don't show the option to "clear settings/filters" so the only fix would be to remove and readd the report. 

This is due to user state preservation.

I think a better solution would be to have the reports dynamically update the dashboard or have the option to upon changes.

+ 1.  Until reading this, I thought I was doing something wrong.  I've had this issue for a while.  Create the Report/Dashboards requested.  Weeks go by - changes requested.  I have to remove the filters and the reports from the Dashboard.  Save - and then re-add it all back. 
I think the dynamic change would be a much better experience! I JUST had to do this last week... I updated the report and told the CSM's that their dashboard is good to go... But then they told me they were still seeing the old results... Come to find I needed to remove and add the report again in the dashboard builder...

This is not an optimal experience Gainsight.
+1, this issue has begun popping up more frequently now that more people are using and viewing the dashboards we've set up.

If dynamic updates aren't in the short-term roadmap, a simple "refresh" button would be a nice improvement over the current process.
After using Dashboards and global filters for a long time, I finally got 'bitten' by this scenario.

I have a very small misconfigured filter inside one report (yep...it was my mistake) with one typo in one filter. The repair of disassembling global filters, removing the report, re-adding the repaired report, and re-assembling the global filters seems like tearing apart the kitchen to fix a one drippy faucet.
Not sure if anyone in Product has seen this yet.  It is a major nuisance.
Hi All,

We understand that this is too much effort for a simple change. Thanks for voicing it out! There are some limitations on our side which stop us providing the ideal experience here. 

Nevertheless, I would like to understand one specific point in this context:

Assume a report has both Report Filter and a Global Filter(say region set to Europe)

If hypothetically there were a way to force the update and upon clicking that hypothetical button, the value which the user changed in the Report Filter (in the dashboard) will be reverted to the value you configured (in report builder). If the user had previously modified the value in the global filter from Europe to North America, still he will not see the exact report you just configured!

Would that not cause confusion? Will you expect this behavior?

At that point I think it would be up to Ops to notify the end users that a change has been made to the underlying report.
Hi All,

Locking the filter is another potential workaround, will that work for you?
No locking the filter is not an acceptable workaround because our managers need to modify the filters based on what they are trying to focus on. Some of our managers manage multiple teams or verticals so they need the flexibility.

I just got off of ANOTHER phone call with a manager, on a related issue. This time I replaced reports on the dashboard, but her dashboard wasn't showing ANY data on those reports until I had her reset her Global Filters.

These need to be dynamic.

@rakesh I realize this is an enhancement request, but it's a massive pain to our end users, not to mention for me.

Agree. Just ran into the same issue here where I needed to make updates to some reports in a dashboard with a global filter. Could we perhaps propagate the changes, and then, just pop up a message to the users that there have been some changes to their dashboards, and they'll need to redo any filters applied?

We will be shipping clear settings for all reports irrespective of presence of a global filter real soon. The idea is with this click end user can reset the report to admin state. Hope this reduces some of those calls.

This is one step in the direction of making user state preservation more ideal for more customers!

Has anyone noticed an uptick in the number of times we're having to tell users to use the "Clear Settings/Filters" option on a report after a simple change is made? For instance, I added the ability to see the data points (numbers) - and they had to use that option in order to see the change.

Within the past few weeks I've noticed more people complaining about the number of times they are having to use that when simple change is made to a report. And when you're updating 20+ reports because of a change, and then telling the users to use that setting on each report...they aren't happy.

Just wanting to know if there is any headway creating a global "Clear Settings/Filters" option.

Nailed it!

Along these lines, has anyone had dashboard widgets throw errors if user has not cleared/reset global filters after a change to the underlying report? This error resolved after the user cleared and re-added global filters (no changes made in dashboard administration), but this is definitely not an ideal experience.