Data management UI Revamp discussion

Related products: None

Hi All,

I am a Product manager at Gainsight; my team works with Data management in Gainsight.

We are planning a UX revamp and I would love your feedback. 

1. What are the most common features you use in Data management?
  2. How often do you view the object graph? What data do you look for in the object graph?
  3. How can we improve your experience while creating and managing objects in Gainsight?
  4. What are the pain points when you create new objects and fields?
  5. Any other feedback that would improve your experience while creating and managing data in Gainsight?

Thank you

Preethi

• I leverage Dependencies and Activity Log quite often.  A Search option would be HUGE in both of these areas because it takes so much time to go through each individual log entry when searching to see what may have been done to a table in the Activity Log as well as having to manually view each asset type to search Dependencies.
  • When using the “Data” tab, it would be helpful if you could define the standard columns by object you want to display by default vs defaulting to the first 10 columns. i.e. for Company I am always going to want the Name, SFDC Account ID, and other fields to show.  So instead of having to clear/reselect filters every time, allow me to define my own standard.

• Allow me the ability to relabel names of fields Standard/System tables.  For example:  The Company, Person, User, Scorecard Measures (among others) tables each have a NAME field.  If I could change them to “Company Name,” “Person Name,” “User Name,” “Scorecard Measure Name,” etc., that would help me when traversing lookups via reports, rules, programs, etc. instead of showing multiple different fields labeled “Name”.
  • Yes I use the Object Graph on occasion.  It would be helpful to display  the full object and field names instead of having them cut off in the view.  There is plenty of whitespace to accomodate that.
    •  
  • The ability create a picklist while creating the field itself, instead of having to create the picklist first, then go create the field and assign the picklist to the field, would be helpful.
  • Having the abiilty to Add/Save a field in one step, instead of adding the field, then having to save the table on the next page would be great.  So many times I’ve forgotten to click “Save” on the table and lost the values for the field I was trying to create.

I would definitely like the ability to more easily filter which objects I’m looking at in data management - i.e. like we have in the rules engine. I also feel like I frequently have to start completely over when hitting the back button on my browser in various pages within data management. Would be nice if that could get fixed.

Those are good ones Spencer!  Yes, I agree with both.

I would also like to be able to open a field in a new tab without losing the current tab.

Thank you @spencer_engel  and @darkknight for the feedback. 

They are really helpful for me to plan for the UX Revamp..

Thank you

Preethi

@pgeorge  this is nice initiative.

@all, your feedback is valuable, please add your observations here. 

1. What are the most common features you use in Data management?
    • When I’m in the Data Management Object, I’m often looking at the Data field within an Object.  Or I’m creating a new Dropdown List for a project.
  2. How often do you view the object graph? What data do you look for in the object graph?
    • Not very often.  At times it’s hard to read on the older tables that were created before my time.
  3. How can we improve your experience while creating and managing objects in Gainsight?
    • The ability to export that data right from the Data section of an object.
  4. What are the pain points when you create new objects and fields?
    • The getting on a role creating fields, forgetting you need to hit save and clicking into another area.  It would be nice if there was a prompt that made mention that you haven't saved yet.

@sagan_sherlin Thanks for the feedback.