Data Designer - handling of text area fields

Related products: None

Currently when you use data designer and have a text area field and when the MDA object is created via data designer it converts the field to rich text area, which you cannot filter on and we need the ability to filter on a field and not have it convert to a different field type.

Please add support for the text area datatype field. 

The inconsistency in how to leverage TextArea fields is frustrating.

IN RULES ENGINE I cannot pull a TextArea field into Filters - even to just do a null check.

Yet I can pull in the same field from the same object into to REPORT BUILDER filters and do a null check.

However, when I have included that same field from the same object into a DATA DESIGNER set, I cannot pull the field into a REPORT BUILDER filter.

I also cannot use the TextArea field in a DATA DESIGNER filter.  Nor can I use it in DATA DESIGNER Transform Case Field logic.

I can however use it in RULES ENGINE Transformation task Case Expression logic.

These inconsistencies have forced me to create a custom table to capture the value of the TextArea field in a String, so that I can appropriately merge with other objects based on specific values, essentially duplicating data and complicating my object environment.

My other alternative is I asked my IT department to create a boolean field in Salesforce that would be true if my TextArea field is populated. They are resistant to do that because it’s essentially field duplication, and I don’t blame them.

Can this be addressed SOON please? @minh_phan  

PS - I had gifs to include here, demonstrating each scenario, but they must be too large because they won’t upload. 

Hi Jeff,

There is Rich Text Area and Text Area in SFDC, but in Gainsight we have String and Rich Text Area only. So any limitation which is applicable for Rich Text Area is also carried forward to Text Area too. cc: @pgeorge  @dstokowski. Reporting understands the difference and lets you filter on Text Area on SFDC data because Salesforce sends it as filterable in SOQL.

Text Area is not filterable directly in Data Designer and Rules Engine - We will explore the possibility of making this enhancement and see if there was any reason why we have this limitation in the first place. Case transformations work with both Rules Engine and Data Designer - this is fairly consistent. Here is a pic demonstrating the Data Designer’s workaround.

https://share.getcloudapp.com/yAu2OGqL

@rakesh The field in my situation is a Salesforce field of data type Text Area:

Two things:

1. When I pull that field into a Data Designer set, and attempt to build a report on that DD set, the field is NOT available as a filter: 

Even though that same field IS available as a filter if I build a report off the native SF object: 

1. When I attempt a Transformation task using that field, just as you did in your example, the equality operator is not available: 

Would this be considered a bug?  Seems like it to me. FYI @minh_phan 

On 1, thats becase we are converting a text area to rich text area @darkknight. If we convert it to a String, the characters might get truncated. 

On 2, just use any field inside the case. Text Area is not filterable today and that's why the operator doesn't load. We will explore the possibility of making this enhancement and see if there was any reason why we have this limitation in the first place. 

What do you mean “just use any field inside the case”? My use case requires me to use the Text Area field, which as you state, is not filterable.  

It’s quite frustrating to not have equivalent functionality to SF in this regard.

+1. 

Yes, we are unable to use the Text Area fields in the DD Filters section. Whereas the same Text Area Data Type fields are allowed to use in Report Builder.

Two things:

1. When I pull that field into a Data Designer set, and attempt to build a report on that DD set, the field is NOT available as a filter: 

Even though that same field IS available as a filter if I build a report off the native SF object: 

1. When I attempt a Transformation task using that field, just as you did in your example, the equality operator is not available: 

Would this be considered a bug?  Seems like it to me. FYI @minh_phan 

Two things:

Would this be considered a bug?  Seems like it to me. FYI @minh_phan 

@darkknight This is not a bug, confirmed by product team. This is expected behaviour. 

@sai_ram  then that is poor design.

Totally agree with @darkknight

Actully, we have an ability to use the Rich Text fields in Reports, right? but why can’t in DD.

Thanks.