Data Designer Field Counts

Related products: None

As there is a limitation to the number of fields you can add in a Data Design, there should be visual counts at in the Design and Add Field screens showing the total number of fields added from the object.  

Today it is very difficult to identify where you can trim down your data to make the dataset valid. Showing that there are 30 from Accounts and 25 from Activity Timeline objects would make it much better for admins to sort out where we can trim fields to get to 50.

Only way we know id when we attempt to Merge the data sets together today and get the error that states ‘Max 50 fields’ — which also gives you no indication of how many fields you are using….

DB

Here is one example of visual field counts on Design Screen

@rakesh  - I suppose you can call that implemented…. More like you can have Gainsight increase the limit number greater than 50 fields with a one-off rule edit. 

However - this request is about a visual indicator for the Data Designer - Design tab UI to show a summary number of fields called from that particular object. @spencer_engel mentions it on the post you referenced but it may have gotten lost in the thread.

We cannot use Lookups to other tables; it would be a quick win to just show us what we are using against our allotted maxes — regardless of our max amount. 

Totally agree with @davebrown2242. Even when limits are increased, the issue still persists where admins never know exactly how many fields are in the final dataset. I’ve found myself having to just remove a few at a time, try to re-run, see that I’m still getting an error, remove a few more, and repeat until I don’t get the error because I have no idea how many fields actually exist. Not a very friendly experience.

@spencer_engel  -  I did that exact process just now!  :grin:

Quite frustrating indeed

@davebrown2242  Understood it now. I got confused for a minute there. Will check with the team to see what we can do over here

@rakesh  - I suppose you can call that implemented…. More like you can have Gainsight increase the limit number greater than 50 fields with a one-off rule edit. 

However - this request is about a visual indicator for the Data Designer - Design tab UI to show a summary number of fields called from that particular object. @spencer_engel mentions it on the post you referenced but it may have gotten lost in the thread.

We cannot use Lookups to other tables; it would be a quick win to just show us what we are using against our allotted maxes — regardless of our max amount. 

Totally agree with @davebrown2242. Even when limits are increased, the issue still persists where admins never know exactly how many fields are in the final dataset. I’ve found myself having to just remove a few at a time, try to re-run, see that I’m still getting an error, remove a few more, and repeat until I don’t get the error because I have no idea how many fields actually exist. Not a very friendly experience.

+1.

Showing the count of fields how many are selected/used in every data set and merges and transforms would be a good idea.

Consider adding it to the Details & Summary tab of the dataset edit screen (add fields) as well. I think it is helpful anyway.

An early preview of WIP - notice the brackets beside the fields

@rakesh @spencer_engel - such a subtle and helpful call out!  Hope to see it in the hierarchy/flow view as well. These summary totals will be a huge help to admins working in Data Designer

@davebrown2242 We are woking on this and this would take good amount time to implement, changed the status accordingly. 

I will update here once this is considered for release. @rakesh Thanks for the update!!