Data Designer - Cascade Delete in Preparation Stage

Related products: None

Cascade add is a huge help when tweaking data designer designs, as the early beta didn’t have this. The more complex the system the more obnoxious it was to add in a new field.

Can we get a similar functionality on delete? While it is true if you find out you have a field you don’t need you can simply not use it, but that isn’t great best practice, and for larger complex data sets having to go through and delete every instance of the field in top down order can be tedious, especially if your goal is to remove multiple fields, and perhaps even an entire object or merge.

There could be additional safeguards as well - for example if the set has been published, there could be a warning about causing instability with existing reports or dependencies if the action is completed, whereas if you’re still in preparation you would get a similar notification to the current cascade add feature.

@bradley Great to hear the feedback here. We will let you know about the feature request. Thanks for posting!!

Cascade add is a huge help when tweaking data designer designs, as the early beta didn’t have this. The more complex the system the more obnoxious it was to add in a new field.

Can we get a similar functionality on delete? While it is true if you find out you have a field you don’t need you can simply not use it, but that isn’t great best practice, and for larger complex data sets having to go through and delete every instance of the field in top down order can be tedious, especially if your goal is to remove multiple fields, and perhaps even an entire object or merge.

There could be additional safeguards as well - for example if the set has been published, there could be a warning about causing instability with existing reports or dependencies if the action is completed, whereas if you’re still in preparation you would get a similar notification to the current cascade add feature.

First of all, thanks team for giving the feature “Cascade Add” in the DD.

Really, it was a nice option to have a Cascade Delete functionality as well.

Thanks.

Hi All,

We have picked this up for development

Hi All,

We have picked this up for development

Thank you! :sunglasses:

@rakesh Just an additional data point for you on why this is useful: I cascaded some additional fields from a base object to a merge, and in so doing exceeded the 50 allowable fields. However, I cannot delete the fields from the merge because clicking anywhere just brings up an error message saying I have too many fields. Fair enough - however, because they’re used in the merge I can’t delete them in the base object either. Literally have to delete from the end and all but start over :(

tl;dr thank you for working on this.

@rakesh Just an additional data point for you on why this is useful: I cascaded some additional fields from a base object to a merge, and in so doing exceeded the 50 allowable fields. However, I cannot delete the fields from the merge because clicking anywhere just brings up an error message saying I have too many fields. Fair enough - however, because they’re used in the merge I can’t delete them in the base object either. Literally have to delete from the end and all but start over :(

tl;dr thank you for working on this.

+1, think if we have 15 to 20 tasks in the DD and it’s really a painful task just to delete field/s from each and every task from the DD.

@phani_kumar they did it! https://support.gainsight.com/SFDC_Edition/Release_Notes/Current_Release_Notes/Release_Notes_Version_6.25_June_2021

YES!!!! Congrats! This will save soo much time!!!

Super, Thanks.

Hello Everyone!

Happy to announce that your request has been considered and included as part of the v6.25 release (SFDC / NXT).

In Data Designer, Cascade Delete allows admins to delete a field from a dataset, and thereafter this field automatically gets deleted from all of the subsequent datasets in that design.

This feature is implemented in both SFDC & NXT versions.

Thanks for posting!

Love this! (Almost as much as I love Data Designer!) Thank you!