Question

You cannot use the same field value for two different global filters in the same dashboard.

• 8 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
Working with a customer they have noticed that you cannot use the same field value for two different global filters in the same dashboard. It's there use case that you need to be able to filter across people having different roles on the same account. In this case, they would like to be able to filter the Reports on a Dashboard by the Account Owner who represents Sales and the CSM who represents Customer Success.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Matthew - I believe that I've discovered a work around for this that does allow the sort of use case you're describing where there are two distinct SFDC or MDA fields that need to be added to the global filter, but which have a lookup to the same underlying SFDC object (in this case User).

See example below (can't embed the file due to size):

https://d26dzxoao6i3hh.cloudfront.net/items/3S2l1H0Q3T2X3r3X0f1q/Screen%20recording%202017-11-21%20a...

I'll reach out separately to see if we can employ this on your dashboard use case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I'd really like to see Gainsight find a solution here, because it creates a gap in functionality. Gainsight users, especially those in leadership positions, want to see portfolios of customers. Those portfolios are often defined by a Sales person and a CSM, both of whom are represented in the data in the same table / object, but in a different field.

The inability to filter on the same attribute [i]when that attribute is arriving in different fields is quite a limitation, especially in the model many Gainsight customers use, whereby a Sales team member and the CSM team member are different people appearing in the same table / object (in this case the User object).

Same would apply if you wanted to build filters on Date (perhaps Start Date, next Renewal Date, and next Touchpoint date.)

There are so many applications whereby I would want a global filter that points to a similarly named attribute that I'm surprised this is part of Gainsight's global filter functionality.
Yes, the same attribute can't be used in multiple global filters on a dashboard. We made this decision based on the scenario where a report level filter is already on an attribute lets say "accountowner" and a global filter is also defined on it. In this case the global filter overrides the report level filter. If we define two global filters on the same attribute, which one to use to override the report level filter ?

Our idea for use cases like above ( where the reports on a dashboard need to be filtered for Account Owner and CSM values on the same attribute), is instead to use IN and BETWEEN (for dates) kind of operators. Currently IN operator is not supported in report filters, which we plan to do in a future release. 

Hope that helps. Please keep the feedback coming in.