Dashboard global filters using OR logic

Related products: CS Reports & Dashboards

While doing a bit of troubleshooting on behalf of a customer, I've noted that we cannot seem to use an "OR" logic on "Global Filters" in a dashboard.

What I mean by this is if I have a dashboard with four reports, all of which have the same two common filters using OR logic, I would be good to have the common filter on the dashboard reflect "A OR B" logic when applying the filters at the Global level.
Hi Tom,

We are completely redesigning the way global dashboard filters work so that you can build a filter that works across reports built off different objects that may be sitting in the same or different sources (MDA , SFDC). Also, in this design, you may apply the filter to only some of the reports on the dashboard or all reports. A global filter overrides any report level filter on the same attribute already present in the report or an additional filter is created. However multiple global filters on the same report are by default applied using AND logic. Do you see the need for and OR logic in the new implementation described above ? Can you provide concrete use cases where you would need that between two global filters so that we can consider that in the future versions ?

Thanks

Venky
Hi Venky.

Here is a use case where we need OR condition in dashboard filters.

We have opportunities that are managed in co-ownership. The AE is the Opp.Owner and the CSM is the Opp.Co-Owner (custom opp field). 

I created reports that shows this data properly using this OR condition:  

Owner=CSM <OR> Co-Owner =CSM

But when I create a dashboard based on these reports it doesn't let me use the OR condition only AND, which is not what I need.

Thanks,

Einat
This makes a complete sense Einat. We will plan that in future versions. 
+1 on this.  I have to create 2 dashboards to serve the purpose of one.
Any new updates on this front? I find this to be a huge inconvenience in many use cases. 
We want this so the same dashboard can show data related to CSMs or their managers.
Hi Tom,

We are shipping includes operator capability in (string & ID) filter this release. Includes would work with dashboard filters as well as reporting filters.

For the cases where there is a need for "OR" logic on a single field, Includes operator would solve it.

@rakesh Any thoughts to include “OR” Logic if we want to reference multiple fields?

Why is this marked as Implemented, I don’t see filter logic options on Global Filters in Dashboard builder?

@Azad any updates in this thread? 

+1 to the above few comments… this is marked as implemented, but the includes operator only solves a small portion of advanced logic issues.

This idea should be reopened and revisited - I believe the idea is for advanced filter logic on dashboards, similar to what we can set up in Reports. 

I have a use case where we assign both a “CSM” and a “CSM 2” each to our larger, more global accounts so that they have support in more than one geo. We are currently unable to have a dashboard that filters to companies where CSM or CSM 2 = current user, so certain portfolio-level analyses are impossible to perform for users. 

Would love to see this implemented this year - I think it would help a lot of people out! 😊

@pgeorge could you pl get us up to speed on this one?

@Alvin @sacha @jenlpro understood the use cases. Adding to our roadmap for Dashboards. We will keep you posted regarding the same.

Thanks and regards,
Neha

One of customer has a use case where the advance logic could really save a lot of time and efforts. Do we have an ETA on this?

We have Senior Managers asking for this as well. +1

ImplementedAcknowledged

+1 for this idea, our use case is I can be assigned as a primary or backup CSM on an account. I want to be able to filter for name in both fields using an or condition so I can see my dashboard for all accounts whether I am assigned as primary or backup.

+1 here too! This feature would be really helpful. One of our most important use cases is that we have multiple fields that we use to track the assigned CSM--we have multiple roles supporting our customers and multiple levels of our customer hierarchy. So we have the usual “CSM” field and also a “Parent CSM” to show the highest level CSM assigned. 

Building dashboards today has been clunky to provide a way to do an “OR” statement between these two fields and properly filter reports to show CSMs the accounts they are responsible for.