Conditional Statements in Filters

Related products: None

Can we get conditional (If/else if/else) statements in filters? AND and OR logic is helpful, but it would be great to have conditional logic as well.

It is true that some if statements can be handled with some fancy and/or groupings, but this would allow greater flexibility on what to include or exclude.

Having a report that would allow me to say:

IF (X and Y) ELSE (A or 😎 would be fantastic.

That is a small use case example, but the implications would be much more value for anwhere you use logic to create something: reports (regular and data designer), filters, rules, queries, programs you name it.

And to be clear, I’m talking about adding this in addition to case logic for formula and conditional fields.

@bradley I will confirm with the product team and get back to you . Thanks!

Thank you @sai_ram for looking after my many requests :)

Thank you @sai_ram for looking after my many requests :)

@bradley You are welcome!! 

Hi @bradley  I had a conversation with the architect team and the ideal engineering solution is us enhancing formula capability to solve this directly than additional logic parsing in filters. To check that this is what you are asking, can you share some of the usecases that you planned to solve via these capabilities? I am also interested in understanding they mostly Reporting usecases or Data Prep use cases.

@bradley we are waiting for your inputs here.

@sai_ram Sorry, didn’t know I missed my SLA on this one :)

The basic idea that would really encompass the use of conditional filters would be the same, which means I’m basically explaining what a conditional filter does, which to me seems a bit unnecessary. 

This would be to allow you to have one set of filter criteria for one type of data set, and another for a second type of data set. If I have Customer Group A and customer group B, I may want to only display Group A customers that have a certain value in Field 1, whereas customers in Group B I want to show if they have a different value in Field 1 but have them both on the same report.

To jumpstart the imagination, here is a real-world example: You have SMB, MM and Enterprise customers and you want a report to show accounts that haven’t been contacted (e.g. have no Timeline entry) in a certain time frame, but that time frame is different for each client group. Furthermore, you have an exclusion you only want to apply to your Enterprise customers.

@sai_ram Any update on this? It’s flagged as response from customer but I’m the last one on the thread 🙂. I’d also like to upgrade it to ask for logic with rules as well.

@Cornelia any update on this:)

@anirbandutta any update on this?

@rakesh , pl share latest on this thread

Hi All,

Thanks @anirbandutta for pulling me in

This capability is available in Data Prep of Gainsight (Data Designer, Rules Engine, JO). Case statement does exactly this. I do not believe we have it in our plan to add this capability to filters that are available in every product area (like cockpit, timeline, etc.)

Adding @Azad  for reporting point of view

cc:  @PavanCh 

Hi All,

This capability is available in Data Prep of Gainsight (Data Designer, Rules Engine, JO). Case statement does exactly this. I do not believe we have it in our plan to add this capability to filters that are available in every product area (like cockpit, timeline, etc.)

Adding @Azad  for reporting point of view

Yes, we do have it in case fields, but that populates a field based on criteria. Having this ability in logic for filters better allows us to populate a data set based on criteria.

Hi All,

Adding @Azad  for reporting point of view

Yes, we do have it in case fields, but that populates a field based on criteria. Having this ability in logic for filters better allows us to populate a data set based on criteria.

Any follow up to this?

@anirbandutta couldn’t edit my comment, but can we remove the “response from customer flag?” I was the last one responding a year ago here. TY :)

Response from CustomerAcknowledged

This would be great in data management as well for calculated fields, so we do not have to run rules to apply some logic based on values already in the object

This would be amazing. 😀

Especially in cases such as JO queries, it would cut down on build time if we didn’t need to run a transformation step and build a case expression just to apply logic to one field.