Calculated fields in Report Builder

Related products: CS Reports & Dashboards

It would be nice to be able to create a calculated field in report builder similar to the calculated fields you can create in the rules engine.  Currently I have a customer that needs to report on retention.  They would like to be able to take the sum of one field and divide it by a number to report on one column.  Then be able to display this quarter by quarter.
Thanks, Chris! 

Being able to create (even basic) calculated fields in the Report Builder would give me significant flexibility/power to show attainment metrics (of allsorts) quickly and easily in reports and dashboards.

Right now I'd have to build a rule, along with data fields, to store the attainment metrics, but even this wouldn't work for the use case described above (where we want to see that relative measure based on values that are grouped by quarter, month, week, etc). 

Our executives and managers care about these types of attainment metrics, and often want to see these metrics aggregated/grouped by some time period. By deploying this feature, we will definitely see greater executive and sr. manager adoption of the platform.

Thanks for considering! Please let me know if I can provide additional details about our use-case.
Hi folks - this is a very valid use case and is currently being considered for development. No definite ETA on arrival yet. 
Agreed - my use case would be to compare two dates and return the difference in number of days (positive or negative).
Thanks Dan! Please keep us posted 🙂
I've bumped into several recent use cases where a Calculated Field would be helpful on a report. Now that I've become used to Bionic Rules, I find myself missing similar feature sets (Transform, Pivot, Merge) when I'm over in Report Builder.
I find myself often needing to compare two fields together too. For example, comparing two date fields to one another. Not having that ability in the report builder makes validating results that I've generated in the rules engine more cumbersome.
Another customer has reached out to me today wondering where in the roadmap is the ability to create a calculated field in the report level. It would be very helpful and help them them from having to create new MDA tables, pivot data, and add more rules. 

Hi Kate, I have a similar use case. I referred to this KB article - https://support.gainsight.com/Rules_Engine/Admin_Guides/Using_Calculated_Fields_in_Rules and I have a few doubts. Wondering if you faced the similar issues?

I am comparing two dates that are available on MDA object and want to return the difference in number of days on the R360. 

The bionic rule ran successfully but the new field is not to be seen on the MDA object.

Is there something that is missing ?
Is there an update on this?

Any update on this? This would be very helpful. For now, we've resorted to creating custom fields in MDA but it would be great if this was supported within Report Builder!

Hi All, Here is a good news about the implementation of calculated fields in Report Builder.

The Report Builder now offers a new functionality called Formula Fields. With Formula Fields in Reporting, admins can instantly create a formula field in Report Builder, based on their business requirements. These reports can then be consumed in all other functionalities of Gainsight, like: Dashboards, C360/R360, Success Snapshots, etc.

Currently, in Gainsight, admins can also create Formula Fields in Rules Engine and Data Management, and can use them in reports.

You can create Formula Fields of String, Date and Number Data Types.

Formula fields can be applied only on MDA objects and you cannot create formula fields on the following objects: Email Logs, Email Raw Events and Unsubscribed Emails.

Please follow this article for more information. 

Is it possible to use these new Formula fields to calculate NPS within a report? For example, I want to group our NPS survey responses by segment, or show the trend over time (group by date). I can easily "Group by" the Score Type, and see that I have, say, 10% Detractors and 80% Promotors, therefore a NPS score of 70. But can I use a formula field to actually subtract the percentage of one group of scores from the other? I can do this in a Salesforce report by applying a formula field to a subtotal.

Is there another way I'm not thinking of to actually calculate NPS within Report Builder?

I'd love to be able to do the same thing with our CSAT survey responses in Report Builder. Right now, we can show the percentages of responses ranging from (Very Dissatisfied) to (Very Satisfied). I'd love to be able to add the "Satisfieds" with the "Very Satisfieds" to create one Satisfaction percentage.

Hi Leanne,

We released an update in our June patch release that allows you to calculate the NPS of a given segment or cohort in reporting. See this help article for more details. https://support.gainsight.com/Surveys/Examples_and_Tutorials/Calculation_of_True_NPS_on_Survey_Responses

AWESOME! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!