Calculate the Median in Reports

Related products: None

We would like to be able to calculate the median in reports. Currently, the aggregation options include: "Count, Count Distinct, Sum, Min, Max, Avg." In datasets comprised of extreme datapoints, average is not the best option to understand the data, median is a more reliable measure. In speaking with Support, it is currently not possible to calculate the median, but I think many would find this useful.
Thanks for the feedback David. We'll add this to the roadmap. Currently we are working on column totals (and averages), and then can look at having median for both group by (like the others you mentioned) and potentially for column totals. 
Not sure if this is already covered by what you said, but it would be great to have an option to divide one measure with another measure. This would give us an average for whatever date group we picked (Last 120 Days, Previous Quarter, This Month etc).

On the second thought, simple formula field would suffice:

Formula: (Sum of XY / Sum of AB) / 100
Agree that creating a formula field would be AMAZING! We have many instances where we would like to pull an account portfolio and the say "% of account that meet x criteria" too.
Had this come up in a conversation with a customer today. Any thoughts on whether we may be able to get this on the road map?

We are now looking for using the Median.  It looks like it was added to the roadmap 4 years ago.  Exactly how far ahead does your roadmap go, if something on the roadmap doesn’t get implemented for at least 4 years?

We did deliver the Median calculation for column calculations. The rest of the part, i.e. median aggregation was deprioritized for a few more impactful features such as Formula Fields. Today you would have to rely on one of our data prep flows (Data Designer and Rules Engine) to compute the median for the data. 

@jennycs did you get a chance to view the comments posted by @rakesh ?

@jennycs adding few articles for more help.

https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/Reports_and_Dashboards/Horizon_Analytics/Admin_Guides/Formula_Fields_in_Reporting_(Horizon_Analytics)

https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/Reports_and_Dashboards/Admin_Guides/Report_Settings_and_Advanced_Options#Set_Column_Calculations_for_Individual_Columns

Okay - The articles point to the NXT platform, but we are on SFDC, but I see the COLUMN calculation for Median, but we want it for Aggregation - like Average or Sum.  Can we upvote this item and request it for Aggregation, not column calculation?

Is there something in Vault or best practices that could help me to built this using Rules Engine - assuming I am building a separate MDA Object to store the Median values and recalculate it each day?  I haven’t found anything yet.

My COM said that he would enable Beta access for new Horizon Reporting capabilities.  Will I find Median in the new reporting?

Hi @jennycs 

While we have median as a column total and in data preparation, we do not have it as aggregation in the existing reporting. This also will not be present in the new reporting.

We have it as a backlog item and will prioritize based on the upvotes  requests for this ask.

@jennycs did you get a chance view the comments here.

Yes I did -  No solution yet in reporting, upvotes are not so high, so probably won’t get implemented soon. and assume that the solution is as I stated above - build an MDA object and a rule to calculate it each day.

This is really a bummer.  Avg is not a true representation of things like First Time to Value or other things as there are extremes on either end that skew too widely.  Looks like this has been a gap since the beginning, really tough to sell to execs that we can’t build a filterable median metric into reports / dashboards.

Hello Gainsight people. The first post on this conversation was 7 years ago. Are you making progress on making “Median” part of the aggregation choices for Gainsight? Thanks!