Implemented

C360: Create an account profile section of the C360 where CSMs can capture notes, relevant information about customer

• 23 September 2015
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
CSMs need a place to capture specific details about the customer that they would otherwise have to document in an external tool.

Some of the key things to capture:

Business Description
Mission Statement
Website URL
Account Team member names/contact details
Recurring call specifics (date, time, bridge info)
Key Contact names/contact details
Pain Points
Current/Future Projects
General Notes

39 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Manu,

We are a new customer and one of the big hold-ups for us is the lack of a profile section as Jeff previously mentioned:
-a definable series of free text or other editable fields to capture more detail about an account that can be used as a quick reference.  
- Think if VP needs a quick overview of important details before calling executive contact at the customer. 
- We wouldn't need several versions of these fields, just one that can be constantly updated by the CSM.
- Leverage the MDA objects we can create to shape what those fields are per customer.

Could you shed some light if this is still in the roadmap and an ETA?

Thanks!!!
Userlevel 7
Thanks, Lane!
Userlevel 7
Badge
We want to do it for phone call and meeting.
Userlevel 7
Thanks, Lane! Do you see yourself doing this for every Activity type (Last Meeting, Last Call, Last Update, etc.), or just a select few (perhaps the ones that count as a customer interaction)? Would a combined date including multiple types be of interest (Last Interaction, Last Activity, etc.)?
Userlevel 7
Badge
Hi Manu,

We have a custom field called "Last Meeting" we would like this to be written to.
Userlevel 7
Hi Lane,

Reporting or building rules on this data is not possible currently, unfortunately. We are actively working on it, though, and we are also considering providing certain roll-ups directly at the Customer level. Would something like Last Activity or Interaction Date cover your use-case?
Userlevel 7
Badge
Hi Nitisha,

Thank you for the update. We are hoping to update a date field based off of certain notes being created. 

Can you help me understand what objects we need to pull off of in reports or rules for Notes in the Timeline?
Userlevel 7
Hi,

V1 of notes, activities and timeline is available now. Please let us know your feedback.

Thanks,
Nitisha
Userlevel 7
Yes, you'll be able to post free text notes/updates as well as customer interactions such as calls, meetings and emails.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Will the Activities and Timeline feature enable free text notes capturing (as described in the original request)?
Userlevel 7
V1 of the Activities & Timeline feature will be restricted to C360, but we'll extend to other areas such as R360, Account widget and Cockpit soon after. 
Userlevel 7
Jeff - For such additional objects as 'Infrastructure Intelligence', do you see having multiple records per Customer (1:M), or always one essentially extending the Customer object (1:1)? In the former scenario, adding fields is tricky since you'd have multiple values per Customer.

Regarding your second comment on a VP needing a quick overview of what's up with a Customer, I see two paths that are not mutually exclusive:
  1. We have a more static Profile section that has all this information bubbled up.
  2. We merge this with Activities & Timeline in two possible ways: 
  • We have the ability to flag the most critical bits of information on the Timeline and that's what is consumed first for a quick overview.
  • We have a new type of Activity that captures such Overview/Profile type updates. This way, you get a history of changes and are also able to quickly filter and consume specific types of details on a Customer's Timeline.
Thoughts?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Great news. Can you elaborate on the planned functionality?
Are we going to be able to show this field on the Account?
Userlevel 6
V1 of this is planned for November release
Userlevel 3
Yep, definitely two separate use cases, only the profile section really relates to this thread.

The two main reasons I wouldn't use the CTA would be: 
1. I would want the e-mail capture to be automated, not a copy and paste every time we communicate.
2. I would like a snapshot or quick summary of all communication that has happened with the account. The CTAs would have a lot of noise related to other account tasks, and while that could be filtered, it would be a little more difficult.

One use case for this would be when dealing with an escalated account. Either way, these second comments really belong here https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/account-gmail-syncing
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I think these are different use cases Nate. Probably both valid.

Profile section would be a series of free text or other editable fields to capture more detail about an account that can be used as a quick reference.  Think if VP needs a quick overview of important details before calling executive contact at the customer.

It sounds like you want to capture recurring engagement information, for in/outbound calls or emails.  Any reason you couldn't use CTAs for the Phone Call/Email and sync tasks back to the Account in SFDC?  Make it pretty easy to report on that way.  
Userlevel 3
For me, I'd be more interested in one section where I could log different customer interaction types (phone call, e-mail, note, etc) that could sync with SFDC notes and then a separate "Quick notes" in 360 Summary that for our needs wouldn't need to sync with SFDC at all, it would be only information for our CS team. But that may not work for everyone as we don't allow anyone except for the CS team to get into Gainsight.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I think that might help, Manu, but is there a limit to the number of fields that can be created on Customer Info object? At what point does it make sense to have a separate object?

Also, it would be helpful to be able to add fields from additional objects (as I note in my comment on the other discussion).  We also may have a need to create our own custom object to capture "Infrastructure Intelligence" about our customers and would be helpful to be able to pull fields in from MDA and be able to edit them directly from CS360.
Userlevel 7
Would having multiple attribute-like sections that allow separation/grouping of information help? There is a discussion on this topic happening here: https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/adding-sfdc-fields-to-the-c360-page.
Userlevel 3
My thought on this would be to have a quick notes section in the summary section on 360 for the very most important notes about the account then a more robust notes section on 360 where other interactions can be logged. The notes section could work something like https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/account-gmail-syncing which would allow e-mail sync, notes, and phone call logs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Agree with JD.  Separate section.  Profile and Attributes are really two different use cases.  Profile would be descriptive information about the customer, their business, etc.  Attributes is really more about specific fields and configuration settings that pertain to the SFDC account record.

Cannot attach a doc here, but here is a screenshot of our makeshift customer profile.  Not perfect, but in Google Drive it can be collaborated upon with the entire VAT (virtual account team).

Userlevel 5
I know the question is directed at Nate, but I'll give my two cents... Not a super-strong preference, but I think it would work best as it's own Account Profile section. Summary should still be a dashboard quick-view, and Attributes would stay as key SFDC fields/info. Either way, though; it's obviously very valuable info for non-Gainsight users to see when they look at the normal SF account page.
Userlevel 7
Hi Nate,

The note-taking piece is in development right now and we are planning to ship the first version this November. We'll obviously build on it in the future releases to add more varied activity tracking, next-steps, connectors, etc.

The original ask in this thread was around a more static 'profile' section where important information can stay bubbled up. We are looking into whether this is something we should add separately or an enhancement we could make to our Summary & Attribute sections. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Manu
Userlevel 3
Any updates on this? The status still says "planned" instead of in development. We are a new customer and would love to have this functionality. I feel it is the only hole gainsight has right now.
Userlevel 5
Badge
We feel the need for this request too. Also, it will be great if these notes can be shared on the Account record and allow other users (non-GS users) to edit these comments too.