C360: Create an account profile section of the C360 where CSMs can capture notes, relevant information about customer

Related products: CS Data Management & Integrations

CSMs need a place to capture specific details about the customer that they would otherwise have to document in an external tool.

Some of the key things to capture:

Business Description

Mission Statement

Website URL

Account Team member names/contact details

Recurring call specifics (date, time, bridge info)

Key Contact names/contact details

Pain Points

Current/Future Projects

General Notes
I like this idea a lot. My users are always asking for a evernote-esque functionality to meet the needs of having an easy R/W notes on an account. The rest of the list I think you could solve for in other ways but +1 for "General Notes" 🙂
We are currently looking into how we can support better note taking in general, including the use cases you have mentioned here. We plan to make progress here in the next quarter
It is possible to edit fields directly from Customer 360, so some of this should be achievable by adding a bunch of editable custom fields (at the Customer or Account level) to the Attributes section. 

We are planning to make a lot of improvements to our note taking capabilities, so the experience and connectivity will get better.

Thanks,

Manu
Gaurav -- any update here? What are the Gainsight best practices for capturing notes or logging calls? Please let us know if you have any recommendations. 
Manu, can you create an editable custom field that will track history? I.e., a field where you enter new meeting notes, trip reports, etc., but you're not simply appending to a field that already has a bunch of text in it?
Hi Ryan,

If you create a field for this purpose, you'll end up appending text, perhaps with appropriate time-stamps. What you are requesting is closer to our chatter integration, where you can post notes, reports, etc. directly to a feed. This feed can be its own section on C360, and be accessed from within every CTA on that Customer/Account.

Thanks,

Manu
Hi John,

The current practice is to use either Milestones or CTAs. Milestones give you a timeline of important events that can also be overlaid on the usage/adoption trend report in that section. CTAs let you manage or work through a process, such as weekly updates, EBRs, etc. 

We are actively working on a more robust solution to this overall problem area, which once complete, will give you one, tight entry point for both important events (logging calls) and notes (updates with or without attachments). Don't have an ETA yet, but will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks,

Manu
I believe the original request/idea was specifically geared towards capturing information that is *not* associated with a specific event or CTA. Rather, high level contextual information about the account that can be updated over time - so you have one place to look to get the types of information that Jeff outlined in the original post.
Yes thanks JD. 🙂
Hi Gaurav; has there been any progress on this?  We're implementing GS for our AM team and this is pretty much the only need that Gainsight can't currently meet for us. 
Manu, any update here re: notes and capturing information?
Looking forward to seeing note functionality added.  It would be great to have the ability to add  tags to help with searchability.
Hi all! Just to echo the above. My team is also looking for an evernote-esque ability for note taking. They're bouncing in between too many platforms at the moment and would love to have this all streamlined in GS. Can you share what you have up your sleeve? 😉 Thanks!!
Hi All,

Improving the notes taking capability is in our short term roadmap and the first version should be available in Fall release.

Thanks,

Nitisha
We feel the need for this request too. Also, it will be great if these notes can be shared on the Account record and allow other users (non-GS users) to edit these comments too.
Any updates on this? The status still says "planned" instead of in development. We are a new customer and would love to have this functionality. I feel it is the only hole gainsight has right now.
Hi Nate,

The note-taking piece is in development right now and we are planning to ship the first version this November. We'll obviously build on it in the future releases to add more varied activity tracking, next-steps, connectors, etc.

The original ask in this thread was around a more static 'profile' section where important information can stay bubbled up. We are looking into whether this is something we should add separately or an enhancement we could make to our Summary & Attribute sections. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Manu
I know the question is directed at Nate, but I'll give my two cents... Not a super-strong preference, but I think it would work best as it's own Account Profile section. Summary should still be a dashboard quick-view, and Attributes would stay as key SFDC fields/info. Either way, though; it's obviously very valuable info for non-Gainsight users to see when they look at the normal SF account page.
Agree with JD.  Separate section.  Profile and Attributes are really two different use cases.  Profile would be descriptive information about the customer, their business, etc.  Attributes is really more about specific fields and configuration settings that pertain to the SFDC account record.

Cannot attach a doc here, but here is a screenshot of our makeshift customer profile.  Not perfect, but in Google Drive it can be collaborated upon with the entire VAT (virtual account team).

My thought on this would be to have a quick notes section in the summary section on 360 for the very most important notes about the account then a more robust notes section on 360 where other interactions can be logged. The notes section could work something like https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/account-gmail-syncing which would allow e-mail sync, notes, and phone call logs.
Would having multiple attribute-like sections that allow separation/grouping of information help? There is a discussion on this topic happening here: https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/adding-sfdc-fields-to-the-c360-page.
I think that might help, Manu, but is there a limit to the number of fields that can be created on Customer Info object? At what point does it make sense to have a separate object?

Also, it would be helpful to be able to add fields from additional objects (as I note in my comment on the other discussion).  We also may have a need to create our own custom object to capture "Infrastructure Intelligence" about our customers and would be helpful to be able to pull fields in from MDA and be able to edit them directly from CS360.
For me, I'd be more interested in one section where I could log different customer interaction types (phone call, e-mail, note, etc) that could sync with SFDC notes and then a separate "Quick notes" in 360 Summary that for our needs wouldn't need to sync with SFDC at all, it would be only information for our CS team. But that may not work for everyone as we don't allow anyone except for the CS team to get into Gainsight.
I think these are different use cases Nate. Probably both valid.

Profile section would be a series of free text or other editable fields to capture more detail about an account that can be used as a quick reference.  Think if VP needs a quick overview of important details before calling executive contact at the customer.

It sounds like you want to capture recurring engagement information, for in/outbound calls or emails.  Any reason you couldn't use CTAs for the Phone Call/Email and sync tasks back to the Account in SFDC?  Make it pretty easy to report on that way.  
Yep, definitely two separate use cases, only the profile section really relates to this thread.

The two main reasons I wouldn't use the CTA would be: 

1. I would want the e-mail capture to be automated, not a copy and paste every time we communicate.

2. I would like a snapshot or quick summary of all communication that has happened with the account. The CTAs would have a lot of noise related to other account tasks, and while that could be filtered, it would be a little more difficult.

One use case for this would be when dealing with an escalated account. Either way, these second comments really belong here https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/account-gmail-syncing