Question

Contact References in Gainsight

Badge
  • Team Captain
  • 89 replies
Hi everyone,

A great question came up during my training sessions with an account manager.

I am unsure if this feature is available in Gainsight or maybe there's a workaround.

The question is below:

Can we add a note in Gainsight if a client is willing to be a reference?  If so, we also need to be able to identify which listed contact is most appropriate to receive the reference

request.  This could improve efficiency if a report could be pulled from Gainsight

for the RFP response team. The AM will need to be notified as the client is

utilized as a reference so we can make our contacts aware to expect potential

outreach.  This is obviously something that will need to be updated as

needed to remain accurate.

Thank you in advance,

Jasmine

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Jasmine, 

We have a pretty extensive solution for managing (and using) references. You can read about it here: https://support.gainsight.com/Business_Processes/Drive_Expansion_and_Advocacy/Configure_NameDrop_to_...

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
We use a custom checkbox field on Contacts for "Willing to be a reference?"  AMs can check it off manually, but we also ask customers in our quarterly customer survey if they're willing. I have a Rule that pushes their most recent response to that survey question into that checkbox.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
We've talked about using Timeline activities to do this as another option.  We discussed creating a custom activity type for reference, and then, adding the External Contact with details there.  We do something similar with Success Stories, and it works pretty well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Jasmine,

As I think you're discovering here, there are a bunch of different technical ways to rig this up, and I'd wager that they all have slight pros and cons. (For example, "Oh yes, my AMs are always working in Contacts -- adding a checkbox there would work great for them.")

I would bet that your Gainsight CSM could help you pick the best option and lay out the steps to get there, unless you want to just use the tutorial that Dan linked above.
Badge +1
I don't think there is a "feature" per se for this, but you could use tags for it and then have a check field in the contacts that is for "reference contact". Hope that helps...
We are similar to Marcelo- we have a checkbox if a customer has agreed to be a customer advocate and then provide additional details with Gainsight Customer "tags".

Each account then has at least one decision maker and power user so it's known who to contact.

The advantage of this being, it works through SFDC with a sales team that may not all have access to GS/without setting up namedrop.
Badge
Hi Seth,

Thank you for your response.

Is there a walk-through on Gainsight go on how to do this?

-Jasmine

Badge
Thank you both for your responses.

Is there a walk-through on how to configure this?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Oh wait, did you mean specifically about the survey-to-checkbox push? If so, I'm happy to describe how my Rule works 🙂
Badge
You are right, I am discovering to see how I can implement this request from the AM. I will definitely compile these responses and see what she thinks but I'm afraid that I might carry the weight of this decision.