Be able to reset dashboard reports that have global dashboard filters

Related products: CS Reports & Dashboards

Right now in dashboards, it is possible to reset any report container back to its original state that exists in report builder. For example, you change one of the filters but forget what it was originally.

If the dashboard is using global dashboard filter this option is not there. So say you modify one of the non global filters and forget what the original filter was set to, there is no easy way for a user to reset this without removing the container in the dashboard layouts and adding the report back.

I think you should be able to reset the report container to the original and then have the global filter still be there.
Global Filters control the filter value state of Report Container. If we provide option to clear the Report Container state while global filter exists, there may be confusion on who is controlling the state of filter values. Also, when we refresh the page, filer values are overridden by global filters, removing the effect of reset.

Post summer release we might think about this option, as with summer release we are giving an option to select some or all of the reports to be part of a global filter definition. The reports that are not part of the global filters in this situation could have the "Clear Filters" option enabled. But currently its not considered as part of summer release. If there are enough use cases it makes sense to consider it.
Hi Yogesh,

I am fine with the global filter staying locked and applied to every container/report. But if any non global filter that is configured in report builder is modified to another value, you should be able to return it to the original filter.
I agree. The field(s) that are applied as global dashboard filters should be automatically locked and the report reset function should reset the unlocked filters.
Agreed! As mentioned, Post summer release we might think about this option.
Yes, this would be very helpful.
This came up in our review with some customers as an ask regarding global filters.
Hi Denise,

This is no scoped for Summer. We will take this up as post Summer.

Thanks

Venky
I'll add my two cents... we also ran into a situation where an end user changed a filter setting and then was unable to select the 'Clear Settings/Filters' in order to get it back to default.  And as an end user, they can't hop into report builder and look to see what it should be set to.  I also agree that the global filter should 'lock' that filter for all reports on the dashboard, but in our case, the global filter was for CSM and the filter they wanted to reset was for a date.

Conclusion: The 'Clear Settings/Filters' option should still be available on all dashboard reports, even if there is a global filter and selecting that option resets everything to default but then adheres to the global filters.  
Hey there!  Just wondering if this has been prioritized at all for an upcoming release?  It's now become a larger issue for us.  We've been using Gainsight for a little over a year now and decided it's time to get feedback and do a little revamp of our dashboards.  The majority of our dashboards have a global filter for assignee (ie - CSM ='s, Team Manager ='s, etc...).  Because all the reports on those dashboards have a global filter applied, every tweak and edit we make does not get reflected for our end users.  So depending on what kind of edits I made, any report I've made changes to is either completely unchanged for the end user or just completely inaccurate (because I added a field, which does get reflected, but fields that were already in the report that were edited, do not).

The way it is now, after our revamp, I would need to email every end user and detail every change they need to go in and make to every report filter.  This is a terrible user experience.
Requesting an update on behalf of a customer who has requested the same feature.
Adding onto this too. It is difficult to get a report back to normal without this option.

I've just added and adjusted a whole bunch of filters and I know have no way of knowing what was originally there.
As an admin, I need a way to reset all filters that users may have set. They seem to want to change report filters and have a very difficult time getting them back to 'normal'. Filters should either reset each time the dashboard is refreshed, or at minimum have a way for users to reset all filters on a given dashboard.
Hi Alex,

We will be shipping this in the upcoming release.

Clear Settings option will now be present on all the reports irrespective of the Global/Dashboard filters. Do note that this only takes report back to admin created (report builder) state and not the global filter (which has its own reset icon).

We have this exact ask from our global CSM teams. I see that the ability to revert the filters to the admin selected defaults is under consideration with mentions of being released in the 'Upcoming Release'.

Is there a more precise ETA that can be provided so that we can manage our dashboard revamps accordingly?

Hi David,

Is this the functionality that you are looking for? https://support.gainsight.com/Reports_and_Dashboards/Admin_Guides/Global_Filters_for_Dashboard#View_the_Dashboard_with_the_Applied_Filters

Close @dan_ahrens !

We have CSM dashboards that are specialized to drill into specific account and customer data points. Unfortunately, we were not able to get all of the information correct using Global Filters, rather they are specific reports (no global filters). When a CSM goes in and edits the filter for any given report on the dashboard, let’s say to look at a quarter instead of a month, they regularly neglect to note what the original settings were for the report.

The ask is to have the same ‘Reset Filters’ option at the report level to restore the admin defined filters.

Does that make sense?

Does this need to be on a different/new thread?

Could you solve for this by adding the global filter, but only applying it to the relevant reports, so that when they reset the filter, it can go back to the admin setting? This works on the principle that a global filter need not be used for all reports on a dashboard.

Great minds think alike...

Already working on applying global filters for the bulk of the reports that make sense to chain together. That fixes 60% of potential issues. To account for the rest of the reports we will create a reference document around default dashboard report filters and add to SharePoint (read-only of course). This way the CSM/AE can 'rebuild' the single report if it is edited.

Would be a pretty nice win to include the reset filter option at all report levels though. Would help remove a few work streams whenever an update is made or a new dashboard is added.

Good stuff @dan_ahrens

We do currently have the ability to reset all reports to admin defined state David! CSM's would have to click reset on the specific report and for that user, the report goes back to admin defined state. The reports having clear settings even when global filters is applied (My post above) has been already shipped.

Oh my, you're correct.

#facepalm

For all:

On any specific report you can click on the 'Settings Cog' on a dashboard report to see a dropdown that includes 'Clear Settings/Filters' option.

User will be promopted with:

"This will reset the filters and other configuratino of this report builder version (as configured by your admin) except the global filters. Do you want to continue?"

-yes- or -cancel-

Thank you @rakesh!