Associate emails to project timeline

Related products: None

Hi,

I’m a CSM using Gainsight as my primary tool to manage customer engagements. As such I’ve adopted the email-to-timeline feature to save important customer interactions in Gainsight e.g. statements of support, project updates, important minutes of meetings.

When you send emails to Gainsight they appear as Drafts in the global timeline section. You are then able to associate it with a Customer or a Relationship. Would it be possible to allow emails to be associated with Projects/Sucecss Plans as well? It would make life somewhat easier when you have multiple projects/plans for one relationship.

@rds-dk great to hear about the usage and thank you for sharing your requests here. I will check with product team and get back to you on the above request. 

I would like this as well!

Just the function I need, thank you for raising this enhancement request!

Hello @rds-dk 
Have you tried chrome plugin for gmail or Outlook add-in? These two tools provide you that capability of logging email to timeline to their respective company.

@chethana haven’t tried that. I’m on a MacBook using Safari without access to gmail and Outlook.

Hello @rds-dk 

As you mentioned we don’t have capability yet to log to Success plan from gmail/outlook.But please try plugin/add-in and let us know you use case from these areas to which other areas you would wish to log.

Hi,

I’m a CSM using Gainsight as my primary tool to manage customer engagements. As such I’ve adopted the email-to-timeline feature to save important customer interactions in Gainsight e.g. statements of support, project updates, important minutes of meetings.

When you send emails to Gainsight they appear as Drafts in the global timeline section. You are then able to associate it with a Customer or a Relationship. Would it be possible to allow emails to be associated with Projects/Sucecss Plans as well? It would make life somewhat easier when you have multiple projects/plans for one relationship.

This functionality is much needed.  It is easy to send emails and use the Gainsight email address and have drafts show up in timeline.

As a CSM who’s now mandated to put updates in tied to success plans, I must go to a browser, navigate to GS, log in; then I have to find and click on my Relationship; then I have to navigate to and click on Success Plans; then I have open the right success plan and navigate to Objectives; Then I have to manually create an “Update” and cut & paste or manually write in information before logging the update.  It’s an 8 step process, give or take, and cumbersome.

Being able to send an email, open drafts, and pick from a drop down a success plan and an objective would be much more streamlined. 

@tallemong @rds-dk we have a plan to give Success Plans as Associated Record in Timeline activities. Once these draft activities are created, you will be able to associate these to Success Plans as Associated Record. Will this approach solve your problem?

@soumitrasahu So you would still link the timeline entry at the customer/relationship level and then associate it to one or more Success Plans.  That sounds good as long as it doesn’t take too many additional mouse clicks.

Hello friends, if this topic is super important and should be implemented to try to further automate our activities in Gainsight, so that they are not redirected to an Email-type Activity, but point to a Timeline of a specific Success Plan. This functionality would be super useful. Thanks.

This would be a GAMECHANGER!

@soumitrasahu If I understand correctly, you’re saying that in addition to a C360 or an R360 record, you would also be able to select a Success Plan to associate an email to?  If that’s accurate, I think that solves the problem provided you’re able to easily search all your Success Plans.  As a side note, it would be incredibly useful if we could move a timeline entry from one C360/R360/Success Plan to another.  Currently, If you accidently create the record in the wrong place, you have to delete it and manually recreate it from scratch in the correct location.

@tallemong @rds-dk we have a plan to give Success Plans as Associated Record in Timeline activities. Once these draft activities are created, you will be able to associate these to Success Plans as Associated Record. Will this approach solve your problem?

I can’t “envision” what you are stating, but I “think so?” 

I’m attaching an image to a “draft” timeline entry, created by using the “Add to Email” function (I sent an email with my personal GainSight address included, the draft appears in my timeline).  Hopefully the image clarifies what I’m hoping for :)  And you can let me know if that is what you are saying is in dev.

@tallemong we recently introduced the Associated Records feature - 

Support doc link - https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/Timeline/02User_Guides/Log_Activities_to_Timeline#Log_an_Activity

How to configure - https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/Timeline/02Admin_Guides/Configure_Associated_Records_to_Timeline

@timellis Currently, once the email is created as draft, you will have to associate it to a CTA/Company/Relationship. We have a plan to introduce the selection of Success Plan there.

This Topic is really important for all CSMs !

@soumitrasahu could you please provide an update as to when we might be able to associate emails with Success Plans?