Allow split string formula in Rules Engine

Related products: None

I've come across a scenario where I need to parse out values contained in a multipicklist and have discovered that I don't have a good way of doing this in the Rules Engine. I can do a LEFT substring and a RIGHT substring, but for any scenario where the value is A;B;C;D - I don't have a way to grab the B and C values. Can we please introduce a split string formula to take care of this use case?

For that scenario can you just first do a left (or right) substring and then do a right (or left) substring on the output?

Take the example above for a value that contains a multipicklist value of A;B;C;D. If I do a left substring on the semicolon, I get value A. Then I do a right substring on the semicolon and get value D. There's no way to get values B or C.

Ah good point. I'm so used to nesting formulas in Excel and forgot that we can't nest in Gainsight. :)

Ha, I know! I was able to do what I needed in Excel in about 30 seconds.

Hi Spencer, Did you try using the Substring function?

You can extract the values B & C in the example that you mentioned via Subtring function.

Let me know if that works for you.

@spencer_engel did you get a chance to view the comments posted by @jitin_mehndiratta 

Yeah, I reviewed it, but it didn’t solve what I needed.

Came across a case for this too, where our data from Salesforce is already concatenated into one row due to a multiselect field and needing to merge with another dataset were each value is on a separate row. Not finding a way to do this via Gainsight is frustrating.

The Find String functionality is a must needed feature. For example, please refer to the below strings. I would like to get the first part of the string from the first letter till "-”.   From “CUSTOMER SUCCESS - CUSTOMER CARE TAM” I would like to extract “CUSTOMER SUCCESS”. From "CUSTOMER SUCCESS MGMT - PSM” I would like to extract “CUSTOMER SUCCESS MGMT”. There is no way to achieve this using the Gainsight String Formulas. 

In Excel, we can achieve this by writing a nested formula as below

=LEFT("CUSTOMER SUCCESS - CUSTOMER CARE TAM",(FIND("-","CUSTOMER SUCCESS - CUSTOMER CARE TAM")-1))

Result will be: CUSTOMER SUCCESS

=LEFT("CUSTOMER SUCCESS MGMT - CMM",(FIND("-","CUSTOMER SUCCESS MGMT - CMM")-1))

Result will be: CUSTOMER SUCCESS MGMT

CUSTOMER SUCCESS - CUSTOMER CARE TAM  
CUSTOMER SUCCESS - CUSTOMER CARE CLOUD  
CUSTOMER SUCCESS - RENEWAL MANAGEMENT  
CUSTOMER SUCCESS MGMT - CMM  
CUSTOMER SUCCESS MGMT - PSM  
CUSTOMER SUCCESS MGMT - ENTERPRISE  

@kumaranbcak sorry for the inconvenience, Please give a look into the documentation here, you will find a way to do it. Mean while I will also check the possibility from my end too.

Any updates on this?  Looking for something like a text to column in excel with a delimiter. It’s really frustrating that there is no solution. 
This is a must when working with multi-picklists