Allow Report 2.0 to Group by Formulas

Related products: CS Reports & Dashboards

It would be great if when I built reports in Report 2.0 I was able to group by a formula field.  I can do this in standard Salesforce reports, but not Gainsight Reports.  
Elleno,

Salesforce doesn't allow us to group by a formula field.  Its a platform limitation.

Thanks,

Sumesh
Sorry, not a formula created in the report, a custom field that is the type of Formula.  We create summary reports in Salesforce all the time that use text formula fields for groupings/summaries. 
Ellano,

As mentioned in my previous post, salesforce doesn't allow us to "group by" a formula field. You can refer the salesforce community thread on the same here https://success.salesforce.com/ideaview?id=08730000000HlNtAAK

Thanks,

Sumesh
I am sorry.  We create reports all the time in Salesforce that are summary reports where the summary is a custom formula field created on the object.  Are we talking about different things?  
Hi Elleno,

You can create summary reports using formula fields in salesforce. However, salesforce doesn't expose that ability for an app built on salesforce. Gainsight is an app that is built on salesforce and hence cant summarise by a formula field.

Please let me know if this clarifies.

Thanks,

Sumesh    
Thank you!  That does clarify.  We will continue to build all our reporting in Salesforce and not Gainsight.  
Just wanted to see if this is something we've been able to explore more in the last 9 months or find a workaround.  I'm assuming not, but had a customer ask today.  Thanks!
We were able to find a workaround by loading the dataset to MDA and then running reports off of that particular field.
We also need this functionality. We have a custom Forecast Category field calculated in SFDC using formula. We cannot use it as Break by field in GS reporting.

Any update when this feature will be released?
Elinat, would it be possible to load the dataset in MDA and then run the report there? There are 2 options here a) Copy from SFDC to MDA (where formula fields get converted as text) or use MDA platform from scratch (without loading in SFDC) and create a formula field there. 
I'm running a report on opportunities . Do you suggest that I will upload (copy) Opp data into MDA and then run the report on MDA data?

To get it work as if the data is live , I will need to have this rule run many times per day.

Do I miss anything?
Gaurav - please clarify your suggestion.
Any chance SFDC is going to expose this ability in the future?
Hey Guys, I wanted to follow up on this one for a customer and see if there are any updates especially since this grouping by formula fields is possible in Salesforce, and the level of effort required to do this workaround is very high. I assume many other customers are using formula fields to allow for this type of reporting so it would be a huge win across the board. 
We currently need this as well. An MDA work-around is incredibly time consuming and delays seeing live data so adding one of these reports to a dashboard could result in inconsistencies if some reports are live and some (because of this limitation) are waiting for a rule to update. Our field in question does not have the option to be a lookup, is not numerical and does have a select number of options.

Hi - I realize this an old post with no recent action, but I’d like to see if any progress has been made on this possible enhancement in the past few years? Our SFDC team is in love with formula fields, which I’m sure works fine for them but presents a ton of reporting challenges - and DD overhead - for us. 

Also there’s this “question” that was posted a few years ago just for reference. Might make sense to combine with this idea?