Allow inline editing in tabular reports

Related products: CS Reports & Dashboards

It would be great to be able to view a tabular report, ie cases, opportunities, projects, etc. and be able to simply click on the cell in the tabular report, edit the cell, and have that update the associated object record. 

@Prateek Parashar Thanks for the note here! Definitely agree there is still a strong use case for additional inline editable reports. Ex: my admin team and ops teams often have use cases to quickly modify many records. We have A LOT of custom fields on the company object. It would be easier to run a quick report & be able to click the fields requiring editing that isn’t exposed to more users or doesn’t require a custom home config. This is easier for some less adept admins than using rules / S3 ingests. 

After consulting our COM this is our problem and why we will not be able to use the proposed My Portfolio workaround.

Important context: in our org we can have multiple roles that are assigned to an account and should be able to perform the edits. Let’s call them role A and role B for this exercise.

Option 1: My Portfolio in Home. We can preset the filter with an OR so that people can see and edit the account whether they are in role A OR role B. The problem is these filters cannot be locked. Meaning the user can accidentally or maliciously adjust the filters and see someone else’s portfolio. I’ve been confirmed that My Portfolio works in a simple manner - if a user can see it - they can edit the determined editable fields. This is our first big no-no. Sure, we want the users to be able to see other accounts other than just their portfolio, but unlocking editability is not something we will be doing, especially since there is no action log.

Option 2: My Portfolio in Dashboard. In a dashboard we CAN lock a filter, however we have the opposite problem that we cannot create an “OR” relationship between the filters. Meaning we cannot preset that a user would see the account no matter to which role they belong. Similarly to option 1, we are left with a My Portfolio widget that shows all accounts and therefore allows editing of all accounts.

In other words, we want the user to see their portfolio no matter which of the several roles on the account do they fill, have them be able to edit it, and do not give them a chance to edit into accounts that they normally should have only reading rights to. Perhaps there is a workaround we haven’t found yet, if so - I would be happy to hear! But anyways.

We had hoped that the inline editable reports would be an alternative, since neither Home nor Dashboards have gotten a fix to unify the inconsistent global filtering. But it turns out it doesn’t support Company. And it doesn’t support Company Person / Person which we also were really hoping for. It doesn’t even support High volume objects at the end of the day.

So the feeling that I am really left with is that the high expectations were shattered and a broad scope of possibilities and potential has shrunk to a small circle of realistically doable use-cases.

I am left wondering if this feature will be expanded upon or will it remain half-baked like many others.

@Tomas Trijonis  Thanks for sharing this detailed feedback. Acknowledge the issue that you are facing with My Portfolio widget. 

We are still deliberating what should be the scope of next Inline edit release. will keep this thread updated.

CC @rakesh @manu_mittal @Monica