Allow inline editing in tabular reports

Related products: CS Reports & Dashboards

It would be great to be able to view a tabular report, ie cases, opportunities, projects, etc. and be able to simply click on the cell in the tabular report, edit the cell, and have that update the associated object record. 

Catalyst today allows you to edit fields directly from dashboard reports, and the colors are prettier too. 

Just sayin….

Hi All, We understand that there is continued demand for Inline Editing in Reports and we would like to reiterate that it's part of our roadmap. We will soon start conducting our research on this feature. I will keep this thread posted on the updates including VCAM details.

Just to circle back that this is in the works. No more specifics to share right now @darkknight but soon.

@Prateek Parashar wait - you’re just now starting research into this feature? 6 months ago we were told this was “in the works” (see above)

So in reality it’s at least a year (or two!) out before we see this addition…. that’s very disappointing.

I agree with @darkknight here - this has clearly been a huge priority for years. It’s a simple ask (understanding building it is not simple) that is the easiest way to get people off of spreadsheets: give them a spreadsheet view to do their thing. The GS Home Portfolio view is NOT sufficient by any means. 

I would add: as you do this, please DO NOT just limit it to Company. Do it for any object we may allow. Think about the possibilities for collaboration between SFDC & GS if we allowed forecasting on Opportunities, for example. And no, this is not an opportunity to pitch Renewal Center.

I am also very interested in this. I would like to see it for all objects, but also have permissions at the user/group level. 

This would be such a game changer for my organization. I’d expect to see a TON more engagement from my CSMs with their dashboards if I were able to provide them with in-line editing capability. 

And to then have reporting that aggregates those fields?! I feel as though I could really get my CSMs out of spreadsheets and into GS consistently.

Dear All,

We would like to invite you to participate in a survey that we are conducting on Inline Editing in Reports. The purpose of this survey is to know and hear your thoughts on a few key aspects of the feature.

The survey should take approximately 2-3 mins to complete. To participate in the survey, simply click on the link.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to drop a comment below.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Your input is essential in helping us to build a feature that meets your needs.

Regards

Prateek

Dear All,

We would like to invite you to participate in a survey that we are conducting on Inline Editing in Reports. The purpose of this survey is to know and hear your thoughts on a few key aspects of the feature.

The survey should take approximately 2-3 mins to complete. To participate in the survey, simply click on the link.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to drop a comment below.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Your input is essential in helping us to build a feature that meets your needs.

Regards

Prateek

@CurtisValentine, @darkknight, @gunjanm, @johntrask_bt, @edleguizamo, @wyattfarino, @mindy, @donnajfuchs, @lori_dinardo, @bradley pointing you to the survey in case you missed.         

Completed :)

Survey submitted 🤘

Did the survey result allow you to put this up the priority list? Any idea when we could get an ETA or at least a confirmation this is being planned?

Hi @matthieuland This has been planned to start work in Q3. At this point of time, I can’t give any tentative deadline by when it will be released and the scope of first version without getting the necessary input from Dev. 

@Prateek Parashar when you say “start work in Q3” does that mean start development? or start design? 

Glad to hear the work to add this functionality is scheduled, it will be a massive enhancement to how we use Gainsight. Also slightly scary that a request this popular was first requested 6 years ago though and work is yet to start! 😱

Hi All,

Really love the engagement on this thread, the upvotes and the comments here really make our job easy to justify any work here. I think its important for us all to recognize how Gainsight did tackle this problem space, but probably not 100% of usecases. And I want to highlight what will be solved with this iteration. 

• The top usecases that came up in our earlier research was Book of Business management (Updating Company/Relationship data), updating Opportunities, CTA’s and Cases - we have delivered ¾ top inline edit usecases here for which we own the data model over the past few years.
  • The usecase we are addressing now is inline edit on low volume custom objects (+ maybe some exceptions)We cannot handle analytical objects since they are optimized for large data aggregations, not for fast writes. We do not want to handle our application objects since we will need to rebuild entire app logic in this again. We plan to rationalise Add Records button on reports in 360 too with this enhancement. 

Coming to Q3, we did start our feature design a while ago with VCAM’s and interviews. Because of how important this is and because of above, we are validating the design (product design + technical design) at multiple levels both internally and externally. We plan our releases and our work every quarter and this will be picked up for core development in Q3. But this does not guarantee release in Q3. 

I would also request the ability to allow for rich text field editing with inline editing. Rich text fields are currently not available with the GS Home My Portfolio inline editing function and there is a need for these fields to be inline editable!

Under ConsiderationIN DEVELOPMENT

Hi All,

This is to update that we have started  “dev” work on this feature in Q3. However this will not be released in Q3. We may have a beta in Q4 (if needed).

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

I just want to say this inline editing functionality has been a big miss so far. One of our main use cases for inline editing is to be able to mass edit CSM assignments, which we can’t do because (a.) inline editing does not support Company objects (how did this get missed??) and (b.) lookups aren’t supported.

I just want to say this inline editing functionality has been a big miss so far. One of our main use cases for inline editing is to be able to mass edit CSM assignments, which we can’t do because (a.) inline editing does not support Company objects (how did this get missed??) and (b.) lookups aren’t supported.

@spencer_engel you can edit Company via my portfolio widget. We’ve had this for a while. Any specific limitation with My Portfolio widget that you’d prefer that in Reports?

@spencer_engel you can edit Company via my portfolio widget. We’ve had this for a while. Any specific limitation with My Portfolio widget that you’d prefer that in Reports?

Not everyone uses My Portfolio. The vast majority of our end users - including managers and directors - operate out of dashboards we’ve curated for them. It would make sense to have this inline edibility there, right? 

I would love it if we could edit reports on Person / Company Person.
The feature itself is nice I think, though we haven’t launched any editable report live yet due to the limited scope of objects that can be used. But I would very much like to see it fleshed out

DevelopmentReleased

Jumping in here to say this should not be considered released. It is limited to LV objects on dashboards, or My Portfolio on Home. This is not good enough. We need far more flexibility to combine uses of Scorecard Mass Edit and a simple Company report, as just one example.

Hi All,

Thanks to all for providing your suggestions/feedbacks.

One of the common feedback that we have seen here is that the released feature does not support inline edit on Company and Relationship objects. We would like to inform that inline edit is already supported on these objects through My Portfolio Widget in GS Home.

The other concern was that since vast majority of users work out of dashboards so it would be a bad user experience to ask them to go to GS Home for doing so , but we also support configuring My Portfolio widget in Dashboards(not supported on other consumptions areas like C360, P360)

We are still exploring the scope of work for the next iteration, but not able to provide any concrete information on scope and timeline.