Additional Logging for Rules

Related products: None

Hi All,

I recently had a rule that I created that had quite a large number of steps including 4 different load actions. The rule was completing fine in test, however when running live it was not loading contacts to the person nor was it providing any error rather just a blank column in the export. 

When working with support they identified this as a system field that I accidentally selected to attempt to load the data into. 

Is it possible to add more logging to help enhance the troubleshooting process? We burnt about 3 days waiting for support to get back and troubleshoot this and it seems that it could have been drastically more streamlined should we have better logging like “Cannot load to system field”

Ran into the same problem recently.  Definitely seems like the error logging could be improved.  There are a lot of times I have to reach out to Support to ask about an error because I can’t figure out what the issue is.

@heather_hansen  - Glad I wasn’t the only one! Huge annoyance when trying to troubleshoot and either no errors are very limited information where you get stuck troubleshooting the rules. 

@cnichols and @heather_hansen yes, agree. Few of the complex rules definitely need troubleshooting. 

How do you think we can solve this for complex rules? Does proper error messages solve this?

Hi @sai_ram

I would love to see improved logging - I’ve seen a number of times in troubleshooting that logging wasn’t sufficient for administrators therefore leaving us stuck troubleshooting with too little or unclear errors (or in my most recent case it was failing with no error at all or explanation of what went wrong.).

@sai_ram Yes, any kind of improved messaging would be great.

@heather_hansen and @cnichols Thanks for your feedback! Redirecting this to our product team.

Hi All,

Thanks for bringing this up. We want to improve the amount of logging, etc. in the Rules Engine.

To help us with the most impactful logging, feel free to add to the list here for any potential scenarios where you think we need this.

My biggest issue when loading to people is the error ‘Please add the mandatory field/fields.’ If I hit it JUST right it will tell me the field I need to map, but often it’s just this generic message and I’m not sure which field I need to go back and grab from my query in order to map. Listing all required fields not mapped, or at least the ‘next’ one would be incredibly helpful vs my game of trial and error.