Add mechanism allowing admins to "lock down" user ability to customize Gainsight Home

Related products: CS Other Features

I’m sure many companies love having the ability for users to customize their own Gainsight Home.  But others, like us, are trying to drive standardized views for our users so that everyone is looking at and using the same data in the same way.  Admins should have the option of locking down user’s ability to customize Gainsight Home.  We are not in a position to adopt it without such a feature.

Hi @darkknight  

We do have a feature planned that will allow admin’s to lock down some widgets so that users cannot modify them. We will pick it up soon and evaluate this in detail.

Thanks @rakesh - I’d like to advocate that this goes a step further and allows a complete lock down as well. It’s very difficult in a large organization to drive standardization, and having the ability to customize Home can work against that effort.  Not to mention makes it more difficult to support, as users could have any number of combinations of reports and widgets.

No StatusImplemented

Updated idea statusNo StatusImplemented

I would dispute that this is Implemented.

End users can customize their Gainsight Home pages, which takes them out of the standard Gainsight Home that an Admin may which them to have. Because the use case @darkknight calls out is to increase standardization and prohibit end users from building their own unique versions of Gainsight Home, and that is still possible to do, I would not consider this Idea as Implemented.

@matthew_lind 

We have observed that users who personalized Gainsight Home use overall Gainsight a lot more (not some barely statistically significant 5% difference, its around 100% difference). We believe there might be some psychological factors which increase the pull factors.

To help admins make sure they can standardize, we have included Locking mechanism at widget level. 

@rakesh Forgive me for being blunt, but I’m not concerned about Gainsight’s usage data tracking. My concern is for internal consistency and standardization.

This should be up to an admin and business to decide how and when to use features of the platform.  Forcing our hand creates frustration with the Product.

A number of customers may not have enabled Gainsight Home yet because of this limitation (that’s why we hadn’t enabled it at Splunk when I was there), so your numbers may be skewed anyway.

@rakesh We’ve already had problems with our users customizing Gainsight Home and then complaining that it was broken because it didn’t have what someone else on their team had - both due to user customizations and admin customizations that had not yet been applied.

Gainsight Home was already activated at my current company before I got here, otherwise I would have left it disabled.

@rakesh I’m noticing that we can’t lock all types of widgets either, let alone lock down the layout itself.

For example, we have what I’d describe as an “error page” layout for Home, where if a certain user attribute isn’t assigned the Home page is basically a text box with instructions on how to updated it or view dashboards.

I can’t lock that text box so it is persistent if someone decides to customize their home.

I also can’t lock that layout down if folks decide to ignore it and do their own thing - and right now just removing GS Home as an option isn’t really a viable alternative. 

I guess my questions are:

1. Can this be moved to ‘partially implemented’ as it seems to more accurately represent the current state?
  2. Are there plans to address locking down a layout in its entirety for admins?
  3. Are there plans to support the ability to lock ALL types widgets in GS Home and not just some of them?

Thanks!

I’m having some issues with this on my side too.  I believe I did notice that there is a notification that fires when the admin changes the home page, but maybe a better option would be a pop up that said “New Version of Gainsight Home Available.  Click Here to View.” with some way on that page to highlight what was changed so the user can then determine if they want to adopt that change?

This is also an issue for our instance.  We have certain CSMs that cannot have access to certain pieces of information.  The personalization allows them to potentially add additional reports that I don’t want them to add.  We simply have some users that we just want to provide a quick list of their relationships so they can easily navigate and not handle this via dashboards.  Being able to lock down the specific widget I’ve added is not enough.  In order to be compliant with our InfoSec team we have to be able to restrict the possibility of the user being able to add a report that has sensitive data, such as ARR, etc, or other fields they have not been given clearance to view.