Access Dropdown Values in Rule transformation.

Related products: None

I understand that we can enable Bionic pickplist labels which exposes dropdown list values in the rule export or execution results. But what if, I need to do some transformation like concatenation -- framing a Product name using concat( Opportunity Name, Product Type) where Product Type is a Dropdown item. Now the result is coming like this -

ABC Opportunity 1I0054W9FAKXZ0H26HOVC484TSFM5160JI8N.

As a workaround I am using Case expression. But would like to if there is any future enhancement with regard to this? 

Hi @shiv_kumar_katiyar 

Is that SFDC Edition or NXT Edition? Because when I executed the rule which is Concatinaing the String Data Type Field with the Picklist Data Type Field it worked and it gives me the actual data, not the Id’s of the PickList values.

I tried in SFDC Edition.

Thanks.

It’s NXT Edition.

Recently, I came across one customer use-case wherein they are pulling Account type picklist from SFDC and the company type dropdown from Company. They are doing field Comparison in one of transformation task using these fields but since rule renders GSIDs for the Company Type instead of value, the field comparison is not happening.

Not only this, you cannot create a merge dataset using picklist from SFDC and MDA dropdown. Can be have some thoughts over this. 

@shiv_kumar_katiyar Thank you so much for posting this!

I definitely think this issue should be addressed. I’m glad there is a workaround, but it is not intuitive. The extra steps required to make this work is very cumbersome for admins.

I understand that we can enable Bionic pickplist labels which exposes dropdown list values in the rule export or execution results. But what if, I need to do some transformation like concatenation -- framing a Product name using concat( Opportunity Name, Product Type) where Product Type is a Dropdown item. Now the result is coming like this -

ABC Opportunity 1I0054W9FAKXZ0H26HOVC484TSFM5160JI8N.

As a workaround I am using Case expression. But would like to if there is any future enhancement with regard to this? 

@shiv_kumar_katiyar, @Kate  and @phani_kumar since this is an enhancement request changing this to idea.

@All, please leave your vote on this idea to show your interest. Based on customers interest the priority of the road-map will be changed. 

It will be really useful if we can show 2 fields : picklist id and picklist name for the customer to select, one behaving as how we have now and the other as a normal string field.

Thank you @sai_ram!

@shiv_kumar_katiyar , how did you access the picklist value through the case expression? I am in a similar bind, Gainsight NXT, my picklist values are “manufacturer - model” and i need to separate these by using left and right substring, value of the picklist item is showing as an ID instead of a text string.

@shiv_kumar_katiyar, how did you access the picklist value through the case expression? I am in a similar bind, Gainsight NXT, my picklist values are “manufacturer - model” and i need to separate these by using left and right substring, value of the picklist item is showing as an ID instead of a text string.

@bayareaguy check this if it helps -https://share.getcloudapp.com/lluogxp0

Definitely +1 here and voted.  I have a situation where I need to compare a picklist value in MDA vs the current fiscal quarter (string) another value, and the IDs do not help as I can’t use a filter to say where String Field’s value is == Picklist Field Value.  The only way to do this is with a really annoying long Case expression since there are a bunch of Picklist options.

Definitely +1 here and voted.  I have a situation where I need to compare a picklist value in MDA vs the current fiscal quarter (string) another value, and the IDs do not help as I can’t use a filter to say where String Field’s value is == Picklist Field Value.  The only way to do this is with a really annoying long Case expression since there are a bunch of Picklist options.

@rakesh for the latest.

Hi everyone,

We have released an improved picklist handling in Data Designer in our Nov release. Gainsight NXT Release Notes 6.29 October/November 2021 - Gainsight Inc.. As far as I can see, if we bring similar capability in Rules, all the problems listed here will be solved. Can you confirm if there are any usecases that will be unsolved if we bring similar capability to Rules?

It looks okay to me, but I don’t use DD that often (at all recently) so would prefer someone else confirm :no_mouth:

Hi everyone,

We have released an improved picklist handling in Data Designer in our Nov release. Gainsight NXT Release Notes 6.29 October/November 2021 - Gainsight Inc.. As far as I can see, if we bring similar capability in Rules, all the problems listed here will be solved. Can you confirm if there are any use cases that will be unsolved if we bring similar capability to Rules?

@rakesh  This option/ability would be awesome.

I just ran into this problem today, comparing a picklist/dropdown from Salesforce to Gainsight (but gainsight dropdowns use GSIDs not the label.).