Ability to Exclude Weekends from Reporting

Related products: None

It would be helpful to be able to skip weekends in reporting. Especially around reports that look at weekly/daily performance by individuals, it would be nice to be able to exclude weekends. 
Hi Ky, do you have a sample use case or chart that you could post as an example to help us understand the use case more fully?
Hi Dan, 

Here is an example of a report we use to show a CSM their daily email activity. In this case, it would be nice to be able to exclude weekends and only showing working days. We have other cases where we have looked at things like our average time to complete a training in which case it would have been nice to exclude weekends, but we ended up having to build it into Salesforce since we were not able to do it within Gainsight.

Thanks Ky. It sounds like you can skip weekends in SFDC? How does SFDC handle holidays or individual vacations (as those would mess up metrics too, right)?
I think they keep it pretty simple. They just exclude weekends, no exclusions to holidays. They just go based off "business days".
Hey Dan, I wanted to follow-up on this. I had heard that there may have been a feature launched that would allow you to remove holidays from reporting, like most recently memorial day. Is this true? If not, is there anything like this to be able to remove holidays at an aggregate level across all reports or is the only way to do this by each individual report and to remove specific dates as needed?
Hi Ky, is this a feature in SFDC that you're referring to? 

I'm not aware of any way to exclude holidays at an aggregate level across all reports. Further, it would require a separate table to define your company holidays as not every region or country recognizes the same holidays. Even within the same country, not every company recognizes the same holidays. 
This is a need for us as well. Our reporting is skewed as our business does not have any expected digital usage on the weekends. As such, our Gainsight actions are based on the irrelevant data and cause issues related to trending and other related look-for observations. 

This is still very much needed for us, and would be great if the solution came from Gainsight instead of SFDC, especially with the NXT platform being such a push. Anything currently in the works? @dan_ahrens 

Hi @dan_ahrens do you know if there are any updates to this?

So there’s a way you can do this with data designer. It takes 3 transform steps and goes like this:

• Transform step 1 - create a formula field where you use the “first day of week” function on your date field. This will return the date of the first day of the week for each date field in your data set.
  • Transform step 2 - create 4 formula fields where you use the date subtract and add functions to use the field (first day of the week) field created in Transform step 1 to find the Last Saturday, Last Sunday, Next Saturday, Next Sunday. For example, if your first day of the week is Sunday, then just add or subtract days from that relative point
  • Transform step 3 - add a filter that only allows dates where the original date field is not equal to any of the Saturday or Sunday fields you created in step 2. 

This will drop any weekend dates from your data sets and only give you dates which fell on the M-F days of the week. 

Thank you @dan_ahrens ! Will try this tomorrow. I appreciate the quick response! :)