Ability to disable the aggregation and set expand/collapse default using Row Grouping in HA reports

Related products: None

Two things on Row Grouping settings:

1st - When using Row Grouping on a field to have the ability to disable the aggregation/totals on the group row. As an example the data is pointless and confusing as we use Booleans - 3 true and 4 false always shows 7… very misleading

2nd - As an admin I would like the option to default if a Row Grouping report is expanded or collapsed by default. It would be my guess that others would like this feature as well for reports that list items (think Whitespace)

Thanks,

DB

Hi @davebrown2242 

Thanks for the post! I do have some follow up questions:

1. Will there be scenarios where you would want aggregations for some fields but not for others? 
  2. Imagine a scenario where we only show the summarizations if the summarizations were turned on in field settings (Column calculations setting). Would the work perfectly? 

and on the 2nd one, there is one challenge I see with such a setting. If the report were on large data, always expanding all groups by default would significantly slow down the overall dashboard experience.

Hi @rakesh -

1. I would call that level of flexibility a nice to have if possible. I can see the value in a report that has string/boolean fields alongside value fields.
  2. I don’t know what the cost would be to the overall performance when using things like Activity or CTA (where there can be a lot of data), but it is incredibly powerful as an admin to provide dynamic solutions for our users.

All the best,

DB

Big plus one to this request!

I’m really not a fan of the default collapsed behaviour for row grouped tables in Horizon Analytics, I’ve not come across any situations yet where I want the table to be collapsed by default so having a way to turn this off as well as disable the aggregation where it is irrelevant would be a great improvement

Bring back the old format 🙂 It worked perfectly.

THIS

@Cornelia - Hi! :eyes:

Hello @davebrown2242

Just checking if you are looking for an update on your initial post? 

Hi Dave,

Old feels better in the min all and max all aspect but we did hear a lot of complains from customers about the overall behavior. Particularly how old row grouping only worked for first 100 rows in page 1, 2nd 100 in page 2 etc. even when collapsed. How row grouping was unusable because when its collapsed people only get part of the data if they dont remember to click next page, etc.

Based on this feedback, we have moved row grouping back to the data than in the UI grid on 100 rows so that we get an accurate view always. 

@Azad for some feedback on Row Grouped reports.

Is there a way to expand all on these reports showing on the dashboard?  Since they are all auto collapsed, it takes forever to see my data since I have to expand each one individually and wait for them to load before moving on to the next?

It’s making this feature unusable.

@michellebisping  - We have to add this and it’s on the roadmap to allow users to do this. I do understand that it is cumbersome to expand each row inividually.  

We just migrated to Horizon Analytics, and I was extremely disappointed that this functionality was removed. Almost all of our reports (~5 and counting) on the C360 use Group By given we are an edtech company that sells to districts, and our CSMs need to see subscription, usage, and other data on the individual school level. Imagine being a CSM to one of the largest districts in the US, and all of your reports you now have to click each row to expand.

The regression of this functionality puts a huge burden on our users, and it’s incredibly frustrating we weren’t aware of this change before migrating. Before migrating, all records were automatically expanded -- and the user had the ability to collapse/expand as they wanted to. Please provide an update on where this falls on the roadmap.

Luckily we don’t have too many reports that use the group by, but for the ones we do, it’s definitely a poor user experience to default to collapsed. 

@Azad @Cornelia - Can we get the status of this post updated? This is still a real usability issue. 

Winning Scenario: Let Admins set the Group By default: ‘Collapse’ or ‘Expand’.

Best of both worlds. :sunglasses:

@Azad @Cornelia - Can we get the status of this post updated? This is still a real usability issue. 

LOVE this idea.

Looking for an update on this too please -- this makes row grouping unusable by our org, which is really unfortunate.

Hello @rakesh , Is there any update on this.

Also, it would be great if we allow the users to have the ability to enable and disable grouping. It gives lot of control to the users who are actually viewing and using these reports to make meaningful business decision. Keeping the report collapsed all the time doesn't make any sense. It takes forever to expand all the records

@kumaranbcak  - We will working on addressing this soon, will keep you posted on updates here .

Honestly, this should always be how it is. If the product team would just default to giving Admins the option to choose behavior, whether it’s this issue or numerous others, we (Product Managers AND Admins) would all avoid so many headaches. Win-win.

Checking in on an update here? This was functionality that existed before HA, and is causing our organization to want to rely more on SFDC reporting than Gainsight because SFDC offers an improved user experience when it comes to reports like this.

Specifically, users used to be able to “Collapse All” or “Expand All” for grouped data in tabular reports. This has been removed and they are all collapsed by default, requiring a user to click into each row one-by-one to expand them. 

We’ve stopped using Group By because of this limitation.

:100:

:100:

@Azad could you pl share the latest on this thread?

Honestly, this should always be how it is. If the product team would just default to giving Admins the option to choose behavior, whether it’s this issue or numerous others, we (Product Managers AND Admins) would all avoid so many headaches. Win-win.

100 times over THIS

Let us as Admins decide the best experience for our end-users based on our own unique situations.

@HollySimmons  - The team is actively working on it and will have an update soon 

@Azad  What is the latest on this? I know the functionality to automatically expand all exists now, but I don’t see a way of disabling the aggregation when this is used. Is this part still planned? Thanks