Ability To Choose Default Sort Option

Related products: None

I have a customer who uses a report built off of a custom object in SFDC that is embedded as a section on the R360 page.  The ideal behavior is that it would auto-sort in descending order off of the date field of this report.  However, there isn't a way to do this (if I put date first on the report it will sort in ascending order which we don't want). 

I tried to utilize the ranking feature, however it's ranking it alphabetically as opposed to date-driven.  Is there any talk of allowing a source report to be sorted then saved and have this preference carry over to the 360 section?

The use case is that some CSMs as they are getting more familiar with GS are thinking that we are not pulling in their tasks as the sort shows the oldest one first as opposed to the preferred sort noted above.
Hey Scott, I have seen and realized the problem that you do point out. Right now we do not "persist" sort order which we should start doing. It would be great if you can make my case stronger (I personally feel its a necessary requirement) by letting me know a ball-park number of customers who want this. Thanks !!! 🙂
I'll upvote this. Not only would I find it personally helpful in my own use of Gainsight, but I have had a handful of customers request this as well. 
Hi Sudarashan!  I have had 3 customers ask for this and sounds like Dan has had some as well.  Seems like potentially a pebble item?  Would love your thoughts on feasibility.  

Hey Dan/Scott, let me circle back with you on this after I discuss with the team here. Most problems arise due to multiple backend data stores wherein if there are feasibility issues across any one, it becomes tricky to achieve parity. Anyway, I'll get back to you by mid next week and let you know.

P.S. : The animation made me consider this 😉
+1 on customer looking to save their sorting options. User looking to save the sorting on one column of a report in descending order.

Thanks, Sudarshan!
Just posted this idea that may solve this. Take a look and let me know what you think?https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/ability-to-manually-sort-report-data
Would this idea help? https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/ability-to-manually-sort-report-data
This would be really helpful to us as well, b/c the Rank option (located where you would Export the data) is only good for the first 1,000 rows.  
I agree with the feature suggestion by Andrew (thanks Andrew!).  We want to control the order of the data presented on our reports, but don't like having to use a naming convention as our reports are often used across multiple Dashboards and C360's (naming conventions don't work well). 
Hi everyone, Thank you for all the detail here as well as Andrew's post at https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/ability-to-manually-sort-report-data. I have some follow on questions that will help us scope:

1. Base case is persistence on sorting - ascending or descending, and alphabetically, chronologically or numerically based on column type

2. For how many of you would you like to manually control the sort order as Andy has suggested and kclark +1'd. 

3. If #2, would like / need to control this for each report, or rather globally. E.g. If you recall for any attribute in any object you can override the default color and specify a color for different values of this attribute. This is global across gainsight.  See this article for more details - https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/Reports_and_Dashboards/Admin_Configuration/Color....  Similarly we could provide a global sort order for different value of an attribute used across reports

4. How important is it for the persistent sort to sort multiple columns. 

-g
i would like this also
1. I agree with the base case

2. I still believe this would be valuable to us so I keep my +1 vote

3. A global sort would be likely be easier and better for us

4. Persistent sorting on a primary columns is far more important, as it is something we would use on most reports.  The multi-column persistent sorting would be useful occasionally.

1. Of course I agree with the base case as well :)

2. Very valuable for us

3. Global sort would accomplish what we need but it would be nice to also have the ability to sort by report if you can do that. 

4. Not sure what is meant by persistent sorting...
1-Yes agree

2-Yes and voted on it- we are running into this now with pick lists that have values but we want to sort them base don what they mean and not Alphbetically

3- I dont know if we would want this globally yet, but I could see its potential

4-yes i would like persistent sort!
+1 Would be very helpful for sorting reports by revenue in dashboards
Hi Dan, we need this feature as well. Until Timeline in A360/widget rolls out in August we have been limping along with a report of synced activities and the default sorting (first column ascending) makes the recent activities disappear, causing our sales team to miss recent CSM actions. We'd love to see this option available soon!
Does this have an update on timing? 
Yes, persisting sorting for one or more columns is an important feature.
Hi Scott, I tried applying ranking to a datetime column with the following criteria ; [i]Created Date  Show Top 2000 on a report built on [i]Calls To Action on GonG, with [i]Account Name, Created Date and [i]Calls To Action Name in show me. It shows me the records in descending order of time as you wanted in the use case you gave. The ranking gets persisted and I see the same view next time I access it. Are you still not able to do what you want to, using Ranking feature ?

Agree that irrespective of ranking feature we need to implement persisting the sort preference. This is on our radar though ETA is not available yet. Will keep this thread posted.

Thanks

Venky
Would like to see this as well
So this work around works for regular reports, but you are not able to set ranking for Scorecard Mass Edit reports to set the makeshift "sort" by $ACV. When you set ranking in Scorecard Mass Edit it returns a server error.
Need this, or wondering if anyone knows of a workaround that would work for this use case - we have a Tasks report on the C360 so that users can view activities completed without needing to go to Salesforce, but because it sorts by date ascending, we aren't able to see the most recent activities for our largest customers (due to 2000 record limit).

I've applied a date filter for previous 12 months, but for some of our biggest clients even that means there's months of activities it's not picking up - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alex 
Hi Alex, have you tried applying ranking as mentioned above by  Venkateswara Reddy Kasireddy, Official Rep?
I had no idea how simple it was to do the ranking - that's worked perfectly. 

Thanks Dan and Venky!