Under Consideration

Ability to add description box to containers in a dashboard

Userlevel 4
When creating a dashboard, we would like to have a description other than the report name in or next to the container. Something like a title, etc. you have in SFDC dashboards.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Makes sense, Anthony. We do have a description field you can populate when building reports; we just don't bubble it up in dashboards. 
Userlevel 4
Thanks Manu. Hopefully soon it can be displayed in the dashboard.
Userlevel 6
Badge
This would be really helpful for us, as well. We have a couple of reports that would benefit from some additional information.
Userlevel 7
Just want to quickly mention that we do now show the source object and report description when you hover over the title, like so:

Userlevel 2
I was just thinking we could use this today to help Users understand what Dashboards can be used for and what the default values are before filters applied. Maybe even adding a use case example. Is this still under consideration?
Userlevel 7
Hi Daniel - Descriptions are available on hover for each dashboard report/container. Are you looking for something at the overall dashboard level, or perhaps at the report level but more visible by default?
Userlevel 2
Hi Manu - I'm thinking a Dashboard level description box; A container where we can add text. I've added a description in the creation phase, but don't see it anywhere on the actual dashboard. 
Userlevel 6
Badge
I agree with Daniel. The hover description doesn't really provide the level of visibility we're looking for to provide a little additional context. Sometimes, we want to provide resources to provide more information or that can give them guidance when trying to impact the numbers.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the input, Daniel and Elizabeth!  We'll look into how we can display the overall dashboard description. Makes a lot of sense to provide context upfront.
How about simply having the ability to add a container in the dashboard that display a reach text field. This could be used to provide a description, any explanations, and eventually include hyperlink to a page listing details,etc.
I hope this happens soon!