Would like to be able to send a survey from Cockpit/new "Email Assist" Playbook task

Related products: None

I've spoken with two companies that would like their CSMs to be able to send a survey (after onboarding or training for example) via the new "Email Assist" task from within the Playbook  on the CTA in their Cockpit.  These are specific situations where an automated survey is not appropriate.  Having this option would provide the extra control needed for a segment of customers to validate that the timing is actually right  as well as customize the email as appropriate.
Thanks Elaine.  I totally agree!  This will be a big win.  Definitely something we are working toward.  To set expectations, I can't guarantee that we will get this in the next quarter or two as there are many things we need to get done that impact the same resources but it is firmly in our roadmap.  And we will try to move as fast as we can!
Another good use case for this is for onboarding complete satisfaction surveys.  Project Manager would manually send after the project completion call.
I'm trying to piece together a workaround to make this work right now 🙂 I alllmost have it, but could use a hand on the last piece!

Use Case: End-of-onboarding survey; customer is transitioning to Adoption. Can't automatically pull a list of contacts from anywhere, using CoPilot, since the set of individuals who were most involved in the onboarding process is different from the primary stakeholders, different from the purchasing decision-makers, etc. And, I don't want to set up a whole set of Account Contact Roles specifically for this one survey, and then design & enforce a process to make sure that they're filled out before a customer is moved out of Onboarding. It's far easier to use Email Assist for the a CSM to send the survey to whoever they choose manually.

Current Setup:

1. Survey is created.

2. Email Template is created. Includes the survey URL, where the Survey ID is hard-coded into the URL, and the Contact ID is a Token.

3. Playbook is created. Includes 4 identical 'Email' Tasks. I can't use just one Task, because the "Contact ID" Email Token is populated based on the email's "To" person; it's not dynamically changed for each of the emails sent to CC'd recipients. So, the CSM will need to do a separate Email Task for each recipient, putting each one in the "To" field. For better or worse, this means that a customer doesn't know who else at their company received this survey.

4. A Rule reads from Account History, looking for records where a customer has changed from Onboarding to Adoption in the previous day. If so, it creates CTA with that Playbook.

5. The email looks beautiful and the link works.
EXCEPT:

When I click the link, I get an "Invalid Participant" message, because no participants have been loaded into the survey. Potential solutions I've thought of:

• Make the survey "Allow Anonymous Submission". But then I can't track the actual respondent, I can only track either the Account or nothing at all. I could add a "Please tell us your name" question to the survey, but that feels wonky and unnecessary.

• Use a Rule with a 'Load to SFDC' Action to load all customer Contacts, for new customers going forward, as participants in this survey. But I'm wary of playing too aggressively in the Survey schema, because it's so complex.

• Build the survey in SurveyMonkey, capture the Contact ID as a custom variable via a URL parameter, and, for now, forego having the Survey data available in Gainsight. (I could probably load the survey responses manually with DataLoader, but, again, I'm afraid of trying to figure out what kinds of data the schema 'needs'.)
Is there a different, better solution to allow individuals of a CSM's choosing to take a survey, and to capture who they are? Would greatly appreciate any ideas!
Pretty awesome effort here, Seth!   Copilot uses special APIs to make things work with the survey module and that is what we have not yet integrated with Email Assist.  I am not aware of any workarounds.  If there is a way my hunch (not official here, just brainstorming) is that it would be more promising to try to create a traditional survey with folks you want to include and then write the survey participant ID back to contact somehow which you then use in token replacement. 
We are looking for this as well. The idea is that sending the survey would be the last step in the Onboarding Success Plan. It would be an email in the Email from CTA option.
This is actually pretty frustrating. I should have checked here first I guess. We just went through a process of creating a post-onboarding survey and a post-EBR survey with the idea that CSMs would send from a CTA email task. Just realized we cannot do that. Now we are trying to figure out a workaround. One work around is to give them all access to co-pilot, which isn't ideal. Another option is for the CSM to assign a CTA to me/other admins who then go through the process of sending through co-pilot, also not ideal. Anyone have other ideas? 
Hi Jason,

We have our post-onboarding survey built in SurveyMonkey for now, unfortunately, and use the 'custom data' URL query string to record the Contact ID with the survey. In Email Assist, I insert the Contact ID into the link to the SurveyMonkey survey.

Thanks Seth. So you don't have any CTAs auto-created based on survey results, correct? Do you put an NPS question in this survey? Do you somehow add results into Gainsight at all or just keep it separate in Survey Monkey for now?
Question Jason - is the primary reason to use Email assist (vs scheduled) due to 1) allowing CSMs to personalize the email content or 2) control whether/when it is sent or 3) something else?

We did introduce in this last release the ability to trigger the survey process in Advanced Outreach based on an event (docs contains an example using the Events framework with cases) to give more options on 2.
Thanks Denise. Controlling whether/when to send is probably more important, though we also want CSMs to be able to customize as well. I'll check out the material on Advanced Outreach though as I haven't reviewed it.
Sending surveys and reports from email assist will be available in summer (Aug) release.

Thanks,

Nitisha
That is great!
Yes! Thanks!
Looping back to your question for me, Jason:

For this particular survey, we don't include an NPS question, and we don't load the results into Gainsight, so we don't trigger any CTAs/Copilot/Health Scores. Those are all substantial limitations, but one our Implementation Manager is willing to live with for now, since the volume of survey results is small enough that she can easily follow up personally when need be.
Just ran into this exact same problem.  We'd love to add our name to this request.
Quick Question on this  - With the upcoming release (Sept 2) will survey responses sent via email assist be tied to the Account? Not sure that including just a generic link in an email template will tie back to the account that the survey it should be associated with.
Jill,

While I am not 100% on this, I don't believe you will be able to use a generic survey link. I assume the link will be generated based on the contact you are sending the email assist email to, kind of like how it is done in CoPilot. That way we have a contact/account id to log the response.
This is correct.  Every link is unique to the Contact.  [This is why integrating Survey into Email Assist is not a small thing....have to intertwine the Survey link generation with the Email Assist flows.]
Got it - thank you guys!
Hi Elaine, Summer Release is out and this feature is shipped in Summer Release.
Thanks Sai... There's some great new functionality in this release!!!
Great to see this included in the recent release. Thank you!
Was this released? How do the CSMs populate the survey link token?

Right now, they have to delete that sentence from the email and/or paste in the link separately.

Does the survey have to be specific to email assist? Trying to send emails to non-enterprise clients via CoPilot Outreach then send to enterprise clients via Email Assist, with same survey link.
Hey Brooke,

This was released. You should be able to add a 2.0 email template with survey link/button to a playbook and map it to a specific survey. The link is autogenerated based on the contact added.
Thanks, Alex! I can’t figure out how to map in the survey link. Is that from the playbook or does the CSM do it within the task?