True NPS calculation and NPS Widget

Related products: None

This is a two part idea:

1. We need a true NPS calculation.  The way Survey's does this currently, it takes the average of responses across a Customer and gives you a 0-10 score.  However, NPS should actually be %Promoters - %Detractors.  "The current NPS 0-10 score is misleading" (direct quote from a customer).

2. For the Widget in the Summary Section, it would be nice if we could add a time option for it.  Allow a customer to choose if they want the true NPS calculation (which we create from above request) to represent ALL Time, Last 30/60/90/180/365 days, etc.  This way, they can truly reflect what they consider to be the NPS of the account.
1.  We calculate NPS in the NPS Surveys tab using % Promoters - % Detractors NPS but not on the C360 page.  This was due to the assumption that many customers would not have a sufficient number of responses per account to allow for a valid NPS and that .  

2.  Allowing an option is an approach that would allow each customer to pick the right approach for them (dependent on respondents per account)
Having an offline conversation with Tracy, Gaurav, Marie, and Praneet.  What you said in #1 was mentioned.  I think we agree that it is a legitimate concern.

However, I also agree and suggested your number 2.  We should provide both options, and allow customers to turn it on or off based on their needs.  Even if it is an all on or all off situation, at least they can make that decision.
Wanted to echo this from the client side. It was a real shock to see a gauge that says NPS and a number that clearly wasn't the NPS score. One of my clients shows a 9.07 on the gauge which is nice, but isn't the same as the NPS of 63.

While we're on the subject... that panel in the 360 takes up a whole lot of space as the response count grows. It would be nice to see that reworked to summarize the data and allow the CSM to dig in if desired, rather than presenting everything.
Has anyone come up with a good workaround to this to show an individual customer's NPS in the 360 view?  I'm implementing Gainsight now and am very surprised to run into this problem.  
Above and beyond the original poster's suggestion, I would like to free the NPS engine from behind the curtain. Gainsight has an NPS calculator built in, but it there is very limited filtering (by role, by customer/user). I would like to calculate NPS by a variety of filters including date range, by region, by industry, etc. I understand that Reporting 2.0 allows me to filter to get an average NPS, but not a true %Promotors - %Detractors calculation.
Hi Jason:

Totally understand the need to see the true NPS score on the 360.  There's a way to do it but would require SFDC formula fields on the Customer Info object and a rule.  Are you open to creating a few fields and a rule to populate this data?  If so, let me know and I'll set up some time for us to connect offline.

Thanks
@Scott -- We would be interested as well. Feel free to ping me directly to schedule some time!
Awesome!  I'll reach out and schedule some time.  Just so I can prepare the best solution, are you hoping to see true NPS all time?  Or based on a date range (i.e. true NPS this quarter)?  
Date range -- likely annually, but potentially for the past 2-years.
Thanks Scott.  We did something similar by creating fields on the account object and calculating the score per customer outside of Gainsight.  We're able to populate NPS per customer onto the 360 summary and into the scorecard using that field.  

However, if GS has the ability to do the calculations themselves, then we could conceivably analyze NPS by segment, theater, cohort, etc and so it would be very useful to understand how this is done.  So yes!  Love to grab some time and discuss.  Thanks for the offer.  
The problem with any rule-based calculation is that it only works on the single dimension that you're running it against. So if you want to view the data by region and then the same data by product or CSM or product... each of those are separate calculations. (Shameless plug: the presentation I did at Dreamforce last year covers this concept and shows some of the power of being able to slice your data in this way.)

A solution you can try to implement is to put a "NPS Normalized" field on the NPS response object. You set up a set of field updates that trigger based on the Promoter/Passive/Detractor value and set the normalized value to 1/0/-1 respectively. Then all you need to do is query the table, group by whatever dimensions you want (including different time ranges) and take the average of that normalized field.

Just as an example: if you get the following results: 10,10,10,8,8,8,0,0 then the normalized values are 1,1,1,0,0,0,-1,-1 which sums to 1. 8 responses means the value is 0.125 which is a 12.5 NPS score.

Hope that's helpful!
Since Gainsight doesn't send out NPS on relationship level, our organization currently taylors survey outreaches to our customer with a specific product and send them NPS survey respectively to that.

We would like to report on the overall NPS (score ranging from -100 to +100) for each survey on a dashboard but I'm unable to do so. 

Currently, I am able to get the average NPS score that our customers give us (ranging from 0-10) but that is not what I want. Is there away for us to create reports that show the overall NPS score by survey (by product)? So the score we would create our reports on would be same as the NPS score in the NPS tab.
Has this feature been requested?
Hi All,

After seeing multiple request on this thread for True NPS calculation, we have come up with following solution

1) For NPS Widget in C360- We will allow user to configure time-period in CS360 and R360 configuration for which user wants to see the True NPS score.

2) For Survey section in C360 and R360 - we will see NPS true calculation based on each survey.

3) In Analyze section inside survey for NPS question, we will be able to see % number of promoters, % number of detractors and % number of passives and also the true NPS calculation for that Survey.
Hi Praneet, are there any plans to add NPS calculation functionality to Reporting so reports and dashboards can be built to show NPS score by various segments, cohort groups, time periods, etc?
+1
+1
+1
@Praneet - Thank you for the update in regard to #2. For our CSM Team, the 0-10 average scale is super confusing. What is the timeline for this fix? Thank you! 
Greg - Think this is what you are looking for - we just released it this week. In Release Notes under Customer 360 section.  https://support.gainsight.com/Release_Notes/Release_Notes/Release_Notes_Version_5.5_February_2017#Customer_360_and_Relationship_360

1. View NPS Score or Average NPS Score in C360 and R360 Summary: Admins can choose to display either the NPS Score or Average NPS Score on the NPS Widget. The NPS Widget may be added to the CS360, R360, and Zendesk. 

1. Navigate to Administration > C360 Layouts, or Administration > Relationships. 
    2. Click + LAYOUT or edit an existing layout (for relationships, click Card View). 
    3. In a layout section, click Configure (gear icon). The Configure Section dialog appears. 
    4. Add an NPS widget. 
    5. On the NPS widget, click the Settings icon. 

1. In the NPS Score Settings dialog, select an option: 

1. NPS Score: You can select a time period for which the NPS score will be calculated. 
    2. Average NPS Score: The average NPS score is displayed (no change from previous release). 

2. Click APPLY. The NPS score selected here will be visible in the Customer 360 or Relationship 360 Summary sections. 

1. Display NPS Score or Average NPS Score in Survey section of C360/R360: Admins can choose to display either the NPS Score or Average NPS Score on the Survey section. The Survey section can be added to the CS360 and R360.  

1. Navigate to Administration > C360 Layouts, or Administration > Relationships. 
    2. Click + LAYOUT or edit an existing layout (for relationships, click Card View). 
    3. In a layout section, click Configure (gear icon) on a Surveys section. The NPS Score Settings dialog appears.

1. In the NPS Score Settings dialog, select an option: 

• NPS Score: You can select a time period for which the NPS score will be calculated. 
    • Average NPS Score: The average NPS score will be displayed. This option is same from the previous release. 

• Click SAVE. The NPS score selected here will be visible in the Customer 360 or Relationship 360 Summary sections.  

• This is awesome Denise!

Are there any plans to allow use of the NPS Score (instead of average) in reports and dashboards too?
    For supporting it in Reports and Dashboard we will need column level formula capability, that is currently not available.
    Not sure how I missed this Jeffrey, but this idea is genius! 
    Hi Praneet - Is there any plan to add this capability in the future? Thanks!
    Hi Praneet - Is there any plan to add this capability in the future? Thanks!