Removing Formatting when Exporting Timeline Report

Related products: None

Currently we are intentionally retaining the html tags so that the formatting is not lost when the data is loaded to some other rich text field.  When this is report is exported this adds the HTML to the report.  We would like to see the option when reporting to be able to export with out this formatting.
Hi Chris, In excel exporting I do not see formatting being honored. Is this what the post about? Are you talking about the other exporting options. 

Could you please add more details and a screen-shot would help
Hello Sai,

I think what Chris is saying is that when you export data from a report and based on its size, it emails you the results in a CSV format. The first cell, cell A1, contains HTML and other formatting instead of the field name.See embedded example in this post. The actual field name in this example is Master_Market_Designation and all the other characters before and after that field name was added by Gainsight.

This experience is different than with a small dataset when Gainsight offers the "Export as Excel" download option. That process seems to work fine.

I also have a client running into this as well -- When the customer runs the rule to export their timeline data to a csv, the csv is appended with HTML that makes the file not human readable. They need to export the data to another Amazon S3, so that team can import the data onto another Redshift data base to build Mode dashboards.

John, as discussed today this is blocker now for dashboards creating for management, please provide us the fix asap.

Thanks,

Santhosh

We ran into the same issue exporting Timeline activity notes. One temporary solution I found is to save the file as .xlsx, go to ‘edit, find, replace’. In the ‘find what’ field type <*>, then click ‘replace all’. (Leave the ‘replace with what’ field empty). 

I received an invalid function error, but it did actually remove the majority of the html code. Not 100%, but out of 4,000 records, it cleared up all but a handful. Hope this helps!

We ran into the same issue exporting Timeline activity notes. One temporary solution I found is to save the file as .xlsx, go to ‘edit, find, replace’. In the ‘find what’ field type <*>, then click ‘replace all’. (Leave the ‘replace with what’ field empty). 

I received an invalid function error, but it did actually remove the majority of the html code. Not 100%, but out of 4,000 records, it cleared up all but a handful. Hope this helps!

@laurie sorry for the inconvenience caused and thanks for advising the temporary solution. 

I will check with the product team and get back to you soon on this. 

We’re seeing this as a MAJOR blocker when trying to export timeline data to an S3 bucket. The HTML code contains characters that in Excel end up pushing data to the next row and throwing off the data in our columns. For example, an export of 819 records exported to an Excel file with 109,501 rows. We are heavy users of Email to Timeline, so I’m sure this impacts us more than others.

Curious if there’s any update on this? Or if there will be any improvements/enhancements as dashboards move to the Horizon experience? As others have mentioned, our team uses Email to Timeline (and now, GS Assist), so the majority of our timeline entries are impacted. It’s difficult to get mgmt to adopt to dashboards if they have to reach out to me to actually pull the report (and then I have to find a way to pull it piecemeal so it’ll export as Excel and get them everything they need).

We are facing the same issue when exporting data to S3 bucket. Any update on this?

@acote and @Leomeirinho sorry for the delay here , I am still working on this. 

An update on this one:

We are adding the ability to strip of any HTML tags in Rules Engine so that exports to S3 can be done without any tags. We are currently working on this and would push this ~Feb timeframe

@rakesh awesome! Thanks for the news!!!

@acote and @Leomeirinho