header
Response from Customer

Need ability to delete users from User Management

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve been running into issues where we have users in my environment that have duplicate Usernames but different SFDC User IDs, however when I compare them to their Salesforce counterparts the usernames are different.  I have to assume this is due to some upstream issue - changes made in SF that are out of my control and/or occurred before I came here - but this causes issues for me because the Salesforce Connector user job won’t allow me to use the SFDC UD as an upsert key, so I end up with partial failures related to the duplicate usernames (my upsert key).

When I run into these types of situations my only recourse is contact Gainsight support to delete the user for me.  I need more control over my user table with the ability to delete users.

14 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi @darkknight  User deletion is not supported for now , will making user inactive work for you ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No… because the username is identical, and that is my upsert key.

Userlevel 2

@darkknight Can you  please let us know the details of problematic  users or is it possible to share the error file?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

What sort of details?  Basically I have two users with different SFDC IDs who have the same SFDC Username.  Because the SF Connector User job uses SFDC Username as the upsert key it’s getting confused and saying there are multiple users that match the criteria.

Userlevel 2

@darkknight If these numbers are not big, is changing username in user mgmt page(we can edit the username in GS System)  and retrying helps?   

Userlevel 7

@darkknight did you get a chance to view comments from @uday 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I currently have 90 users that fit this.  But for some reason it keeps happening - we end up with duplicate records that have the same user name.  And I have no idea why.  

Userlevel 2

@darkknight  Could you please share the details of those users, we will see how we can get these fixed for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@uday I would love to - although Support told me this:  “The reason we cannot delete users is that we have several dependencies( in the UI and on the backend) created when a User is created and deleting a User would involve trying to clean them out from everywhere which sometimes gets messy. I agree with duplicates are bad and for that reason, we ask customers to be careful while ingesting data to standard objects, not include duplicates as deleting them brings in more complications.”

Is that accurate?  Seems to me it should be fairly simple to delete duplicate users.

Userlevel 2

@darkknight  Yes thats correct, deleting user may have more dependencies and evaluating dependencies at every user is not an easies way.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah, we were brilliant and accidentally loaded 620 user profiles from SFDC. We only need about 20. Would be nice to be able to remove the ones we just added accidentally. We could set them all to inactive, but I’m still going to have a list of 640 users.. and finding active ones without knowing their names would be challenging.

Userlevel 2

Hi @jochle These users might have dependencies in GS tool, if we delete them we will loose the references. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @jochle These users might have dependencies in GS tool, if we delete them we will loose the references. 

Yes, but they were just created, so they shouldn’t have any impact to the system if we just remove them right away? They don’t log in, they aren’t even real users. These should be things we can remove.

Userlevel 5

I am having a similar issue and support opened this community post on my behalf. I feel as though there are two possibilities here: Give us the option to delete users (which GS seems unwilling to do) or change the upsert key to an ID field rather than a Username field considering Usernames can be edited.