Handling auto-responders(out of office) in JO when a survey sent

Related products: None

Hello everyone,

I have a customer who is looking to handle auto responders in an outreach/JO Program and flurry of OOO messages spams sender's inbox after a survey being sent. Is there a way to do it today?

If not, It would be great to see, perhaps JO program can pause the participant from the journey when an auto response is detected.

Hi Sudheer,

I think the problem here would be that the auto-responder email would be sent to the configured email identified as the "sender" in a JO program, and would not be sent back directly to JO. So JO would not be aware that an auto-responder was in place. Is this also your understanding @abhishek_sivaraman ?

Hi Dan,

Good point. I found some interesting articles, you might want to take a look at them?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41511175/how-to-capture-ooo-out-of-office-emails-using-inbound-parsing

https://sendgrid.com/docs/glossary/autoresponder/

Cheers,

Sudheer

Hi Sudheer,

I'll defer to @abhishek_sivaraman on the technical message flow, but it is my understanding that if JO sends a message with a replyto email address (for example @acmecompany.com), and the recipient has an auto-responder enabled, the replying email is sent to the email infrastructure of the replyto email address (acmecompany.com), and NOT back to sendgrid.

I believe the articles you referenced refer to cases where the email is being received by sendgrid, which is a different workflow altogether and not applicable to how JO functions.

I had setup separate reply to vs sender emails in my JO and the out of office replies went back to the sender instead of the reply to email. What is the way around that? The sender email received alot of spam as well in this case.

Hi, wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone has any insights into how this can be handled. A lot of NPS Surveys are sent out from CXOs and the reply-to email usually goes back to the CXO. If multiple recipients have OOO replies enabled, then the CXOs are getting their inboxes flooded with these. Do we have an approach to handling this yet? I realise that the OOO messages are handled by the email client outside of Gainsight/Sendgrid, but I was wondering if our attempts to better integrate GS with Outlook and Gmail would open up the opportunity for us to improve how this is handled. Thanks!

Hi @jnunes - one way to resolve this would be to setup a filtering rule where some unique text or subject line from the outgoing email would be filtered when received by the CXO. Integration with Outlook or Gmail won’t prevent auto-responses from being received by the CXO. Let me know if you would like to have a quick call to review this further. 

That makes sense. Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for the insight!