Add the ability to update CTA status from Rules Engine

Related products: None

We have a need to update the status of CTAs to "In Progress" once any task has been completed on the CTA. Currently, a CTA will stay in a "New" status until it is manually updated by the CSM or edited through Mass Edit.

For tracking and reporting, we'd like to know how many CTAs are truly "New" (e.g. never been worked on) vs. "In Progress" (e.g. some action has been taken, but not all tasks completed). Our CSMs would also like to be able to filter New and In Progress quickly without having to manually update the status for each CTA.

Mass Edits are not reoccurring so it would have to be a manual process for an admin. Rules Engine would be ideal but currently the "Call to Action" function in "Setup Action" will not change the status of an existing CTA (it can upsert to other fields but status cannot be changed via Rules - confirmed both internally and with Gainsight Support). Adding this capability to Rules Engine would allow an admin to schedule a rule to run everyday to modify the status to align CTAs with their current progress.

This is similar to the request here but specific to adding functionality to Rules Engine to have more control over updating the status (Rules could be used to update to any status vs automation to change to In Progress specifically).

+1 to this!

Hi John, is this the same request as the one in this thread? https://community.gainsight.com/conversations/ability-to-edit-ctas-in-the-rules-engine-5bc73e1ae4b04588aaf86be9

Not quite.

There is an ability to edit CTAs via Rules but specifically we cannot update the status of a CTA. So this request is related but asking to add the ability to change Status via Rules.

With the caveat that I haven't tested this exact scenario, I do believe it should work as status is one of the fields you can set in the "create CTA" action, which would update an existing CTA if one already exists that matches the uniqueness criteria.

Hey Dan!

Myself and another rep tested this out locally for John and while the Upsert function of the "Create CTA" action does update some aspects of the CTA (Comments, Playbook, Priority) we found that the Status is not something that is updated by the rule.

Bummer. :(

Use case: I am using CTA Due Dates to trigger Journey Orchestrator Outreaches and would like to update the Status of those CTAs to "Outreach" once the email has been sent. Currently, our CSMs have to update the Status manually in order to trigger the next JO Outreach.

Note: the reason I'm using Outreaches instead of Programs is because I want the CSMs to be able to adjust the date that the emails send, which they can do by changing the CTA Due Date.

Hi Team - Do we have any updates on this? Hearing it from a few customers 🙂 Thanks!

Revitalizing this thread - just encountered the need for this functionality today.  Are there any updates here? Thanks!

Hi @caffeinatedadmin 

We have it on our roadmap to extend the capabilities of the CTA Action in rules engine (to allow users to dynamically update CTA’s status, custom field etc.). I do not have an ETA at this moment, but will keep you posted as and when we make progress on this

Regards

@aditya_marla Any updates on this? Would love this functionality as well.

Hi @shela ,

This capability is planned tentatively for the 2nd half of 2022. We will keep you posted on the updates.

Thanks,

Monica 

Hi any update on using Rule engine to update existing CTA?

I also have a use case for changing the CTA owner. Account owner can change over time, we need the functionality of updating the CTA owner to be the latest account owner after CTA is created. Is there any way to achieve that currently?

I also have a use case for changing the CTA owner. Account owner can change over time, we need the functionality of updating the CTA owner to be the latest account owner after CTA is created. Is there any way to achieve that currently?

Should be possible with the new rules engine that is currently in Beta

Hi Bradley,

What do you mean in Beta?

Could you elaborate more on how to update the CTA owner in Beta?

Hi Bradley,

What do you mean in Beta?

Could you elaborate more on how to update the CTA owner in Beta?

Rules engine, as a feature, is getting an upgrade. That upgrade is in a limited beta release right now. One of the features of the new rules engine is updating more on CTAs. I haven’t tried this action yet my instance so don’t know for sure how it works.