Ability to Move Timeline Activities Across Accounts

Related products: CS Timeline

There are instances where a CSM enters a timeline activity to an account, but it was added to the wrong account and needs to move to another account. There's currently no way to copy or move an activity to another account. The CSM has to re-enter information on the correct account, and this can be a lot of manual re-entry that would be more efficient if a "copy to" or "move to" functionality existed.

Hi Kaycee, If you have created a follow up task from timeline then d you want to change the task and CTA account as well, while changing the account for timeline 

This doesn't complete the action we are looking for. The end user would be looking to either make a copy of a timeline activity and select which customer it should go to, or to change the customer name. Not every timeline activity created will have a task associated with it, so having to go through this to accomplish the action doesn't fit the use case.

Hi Kaycee,

Do you have a sense of how often this is happening (how many times per week)? And is this happening to all of your users or just some of your users?

This would be great. I've encountered it in two different organizations so far every since BCC to timeline came out, affecting a few different users and for different accounts. Here are the cases:

1. Duplicate Accounts - When duplicate accounts are created in SF, in the merging process it would be ideal to move all old activities to the new/correct account.

2. Movement within the Hierarchy - In some cases it may be more approrpriate to log certain activities at a child and in others at a parent. Since email to timeline automatically posts to where a contact is found, there are situations where contacts are assigned at a customer level when they really should be assigned at the parent level (and therefore the activities should be posted at the parent level).

We have more than one relationship on account and CSMs are entering the timeline on wrong relationship. They are deleting and reentering on correct account. But recently one of the CSM observed after entering 17 entries, i have created support ticket to move the data. Can you please provide a functionality to Admins so that it saves everyone time.

@mhoangws Regarding the duplicate accounts, in merge process we are merging the activities too. Let us know if you face any issues while merging.

Regarding the "Movement within the Hierarchy" I am creating a new idea post for better tracking purpose.

Thanks for posting!

Definitely echo the need for this. It hasn't been happening as often recently, but we still get users that may not have checked Person records and their email logged to the wrong Timeline. Support seems to resolve these types of tickets more quickly for us now but it was definitely a pain point when escalation and resolution took a few weeks in some cases.

@All, This enhancement is there on our road-map.

To change the priority of the road map please upvote here!

@sai_ram  any update on this?

@sai_ram There is multiple versions of this post.  I want your team to see that this feature has been a topic for a while.

Also, this is a hot issue for our organization too.  

https://community.gainsight.com/cs-ideas-21/timeline-activities-changing-the-account-33192#post41193

https://community.gainsight.com/cs-ideas-21/move-or-migrate-timeline-entries-to-different-account-ids-1997

There are instances where a CSM enters a timeline activity to an account, but it was added to the wrong account and needs to move to another account. There's currently no way to copy or move an activity to another account. The CSM has to re-enter information on the correct account, and this an be a lot of manual re-entry that would be more efficient if a "copy to" or "move to" functionality existed.

+1. It really saves a lot of time for the users if we can have an option to “Copy” or “Move” the Timeline Entries from one Account to Another Account in case of wrongly entered.

@All, Thanks for bringing this up! We are considering this enhancement in the short term.

We also need this please. It is VERY unfortunate and time consuming to have to duplicate the timeline entry on another account. The “copy” feature is nice on the timeline entry but it only copies the content. We need the ability to move the timeline entry to a different account please. 

This should be enough votes to move this from consideration to build right????

We have had the same issue occur and would love for this feature to be put into the product. 

@All, considering this as priority and will make sure to get the reply quickly from product team. Thanks all!

Hi All,

We are making progress in this direction. We will first add the capability for the admins to mass edit activities (changing accounts, activity types etc.) and then we will give this capability to end user as well. Admin level enhancement tentatively will be available in Q4.

@nitisha_rathi  This is good but why give the admin access to something that the CSM needs to manage? All they will do is come to me like I come to you. I can’t think of a time when I need to bulk change. Do you have a user story for bulk change? I imagine anything coming in to support has been one off not bulk change. Maybe I’m wrong….

@nitisha_rathi  This is good but why give the admin access to something that the CSM needs to manage? All they will do is come to me like I come to you. I can’t think of a time when I need to bulk change. Do you have a user story for bulk change? I imagine anything coming in to support has been one off not bulk change. Maybe I’m wrong….

+1 on this. I typically get one-off requests from the CSMs. Empowering the CSM to make changes to their own accounts/activities would provide a better end user experience than having to route through the admin each time.

The only instance I can see the need for bulk changes from the admin (at least for us) is when we have a SFDC hierarchy change. We have our CSMs create Timeline activities on the Parent account, and our SFDC hierarchies can change frequently. This would require the CSM to move one timeline entry at a time. A bulk change would be beneficial in this instance.

Makes sense. Enabling this capability for users is on our medium term roadmap.

+1 on this functionality and for CSMs to have the ability to self serve.  This is a regularly used feature in Salesforce and it would make sense to exist within Gainsight timeline as well.

Still needed! Especially as we are constantly creating new parent/child account relationships and moving entries from the parent to new children per CSM request. 

We are not able to work on this enhancement due to other priorities but I completely understand the need and we will try to pick it up in short-medium term. 

Does this also cover the ability to move timeline entries to a CTA timeline?

Some use cases:

• You log an email to C/R360, but then identify and create a Risk CTA and that email should be on that timeline
  • You want to log to timeline, but have to manually copy/paste the email if you want it on the Risk CTA timeline

I could really use this as well - is it on the roadmap?