Question

Edit Customer data in Gainsight and SFDC

• 10 February 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello -

We are in the process of implementing Gainsight. We are connected to our Salesforce instance. The integrator that we’re using said that we should pick where we want to edit customer data that is in both Gainsight and SFDC, i.e. status, assigned CSM. He recommended that we either edit the customer data in Gainsight OR in SFDC, not both even though it’s possible to do it in both. I would ideally like to be able to edit it in both places since we’ll still be working in SFDC too. Wondering what others have done that has worked well or not worked well? Thanks

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I recommend establishing a system of truth which “should” be targeted to house all of your primary company/account/customer data (Salesforce is what I am most familiar with).  This will give all business units a target destination.  As a result, Gainsight can really shine by leveraging that data if possible quite easily.

There are many cases where you would want bi-directional data flow, here are a few:

1. Providing data that is only accessible or generated by Gainsight to your Gainsight customers in Salesforce (transformations, health scores, etc)
  2. Creating and reinforcing business process, typically where actions or updates involving CSM’s take place 

It can be a thing of beauty, but you must respect the power and any underlying triggers or dependencies in Salesforce when writing data. If you ever want to chat, I can provide whatever experience I have to assist :)