Question

Tracking Success Stories and Use Cases

Does anyone use CTA’s for success stories or use cases? Or is there another way to do this that you recommend?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

While this could be done via CTA, and might have to be if you’re confined to out-of-the-box reporting, I think a potentially more robust solution is an MDA custom object.

There are pros and cons here, and the major pro for a custom object is the ability to gather the information that’s unique to a Success Story or Use Case, which may differ from the fields typically in a CTA.

I’d ask what the intended outcome or result is, and who is going to consume the outcome. Are you needing it for QBRs (to replay back to a customer to demonstrate value) or for Marketers (who are seeking help finding friendly customers) or for an Education team (to strengthen knowledgebase materials) or something else altogether?

By knowing what you’ll do with the data and who your stakeholders are, you’ll more readily arrive at some potential solutions.

Badge +3

Currently we record these as timeline entries to ensure the CSM can capture the information correctly and find it easily.

We have an activity type ‘verified outcomes’ and then fields setup to select the type of success story or result we have captured from dropdown selections. 

I have also created a note template to ensure that the right type of data and information is entered into the timeline entry in a consistent manner. 

This is then easy to report on and makes renewals and use cases easier to find and utilize. I would also be looking to take this further in the future with what Matthew has suggested with the custom object as we may look to utilize this in different ways but I have yet to look into this in detail and need to figure out what we might need from it. 

While this could be done via CTA, and might have to be if you’re confined to out-of-the-box reporting, I think a potentially more robust solution is an MDA custom object.

There are pros and cons here, and the major pro for a custom object is the ability to gather the information that’s unique to a Success Story or Use Case, which may differ from the fields typically in a CTA.

I’d ask what the intended outcome or result is, and who is going to consume the outcome. Are you needing it for QBRs (to replay back to a customer to demonstrate value) or for Marketers (who are seeking help finding friendly customers) or for an Education team (to strengthen knowledgebase materials) or something else altogether?

By knowing what you’ll do with the data and who your stakeholders are, you’ll more readily arrive at some potential solutions.

Thanks @matthew_lind  this would primarily be for QBR review and also for management, or future CSMs who would want to see the use cases/ success stories. It would also be helpful to have a status if they are retired, active, etc.

Currently we record these as timeline entries to ensure the CSM can capture the information correctly and find it easily.

We have an activity type ‘verified outcomes’ and then fields setup to select the type of success story or result we have captured from dropdown selections. 

I have also created a note template to ensure that the right type of data and information is entered into the timeline entry in a consistent manner. 

This is then easy to report on and makes renewals and use cases easier to find and utilize. I would also be looking to take this further in the future with what Matthew has suggested with the custom object as we may look to utilize this in different ways but I have yet to look into this in detail and need to figure out what we might need from it. 

@pmccrudden Is the activity type in the timeline entry section? What fields do you have under types of success stories or results?

Would you be open to sharing the Note template that you have?