Solved

Playbook task best practices: schedule a customer call or hold a customer call?

• 8 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

When building out playbook tasks, we could choose to have a task for “Schedule customer call” or “Hold customer call” -- the former being checked off as complete when scheduled, the latter being checked off when the call is completed.

We don’t want to have both “schedule call” and “hold call” tasks to avoid task annoyance, but I keep going back and forth on which one is better to include in a playbook. Scheduling a call is outside of my control as a CSM, as we use Calendly. If the customer books directly through Calendly, I think it would be annoying to check that task off myself. On the other hand, a CSM is already logging a call that they have in Timeline, so checking off a task of holding a call seems redundant. 

Thoughts?

icon

Best answer by heather_hansen 8 July 2021, 20:28

View original

5 replies

@sarahmiracle  I assume the intent here is to make sure the CSM doesn’t forget to make the call. If that’s the case, having a “hold call” task makes sense. Seeing a checked “hold call” helps the CSM quickly inform others or sometimes even remind themselves that they already made that call. Going through a task to confirm whether a call was made is a lot easier than checking the same via timeline. In fact, I would suggest them to close the task in cockpit and create a timeline entry in cockpit only against the specific CTA so that it’s a lot easier to fetch and consume the correct timeline entry. Hope it helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Logical question, @sarahmiracle .

I typically get really customer-centric on questions like this. Does your customer get value from scheduling a call? Probably not. Does your customer get value from holding a call? I sure hope so.

Thus, my bias, without knowing the rest of your detail, is to center on the customer, and thus to emphasize Playbook Tasks that represent value to the customer over Playbook Tasks that represent administrative minutia within your organization. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@matthew_lind and @sriram pasupathi thanks for the thoughts here!

@sriram pasupathi correct, the intent is to make sure the CSM takes the action of having the call (and everything needed leading up to it, like scheduling the call/preparing for the call/etc).

New question: the holding of the call will be a data point we are using as a success metric, with the goal of having 90% of a particular segment of customers having these calls. Would you use Timeline data object to report on this, or CS Task object to report on it? Is it six one way, half a dozen the other?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@matthew_lind and @sriram pasupathi thanks for the thoughts here!

@sriram pasupathi correct, the intent is to make sure the CSM takes the action of having the call (and everything needed leading up to it, like scheduling the call/preparing for the call/etc).

New question: the holding of the call will be a data point we are using as a success metric, with the goal of having 90% of a particular segment of customers having these calls. Would you use Timeline data object to report on this, or CS Task object to report on it? Is it six one way, half a dozen the other?

This is what I was going to say.  You could have the task be to schedule the call, and then, use the Timeline activity to determine that the call was in fact completed.  With that being associated via the CTA, you could report on it that way.

@sarahmiracle If your CSMs are diligent and update the task status, you can report by tasks. If you feel they might not update the task but will definitely add a timeline entry after every call, then you can report by timeline entries. It really depends on how your CSMs operate.