Solved

"Parameter" component for embedded pages in C360 is not documented

• 11 March 2016
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
  • Gainsight Employee: ACE
  • 548 replies
Our CSMs have started primarily working out of Gainsight, but -- at least for the moment -- they still need to create Tasks in Salesforce from time to time, since they need to be able to select specific Task types. I was hoping to add the create-a-Task page as an embedded page in the C360. If found "CreateTasks" as an available page in the menu:

• It looks like this in the configuration:

• But I get an error when it's displayed in the C360:

I imagine that it's because the page expects to be passed the Account ID. I was wondering if the "Parameter" / "Bundled Parameter" options shown in that first screenshot would be able to achieve that. However, I can't find any documentation about that feature in either support.gainsight.com or community.gainsight.com, except for a tutorial in some release notes about how to use the feature to embed Box.com in a C360.

I tried to see what would happen if I assume that "Parameter" is referring to URL parameters.

• The "New Task" page in Salesforce has a URL with this structure:
    https://na28.salesforce.com/00T/e?what_id=001C000000tEvQ5&retURL=%2F001C000000tEvQ5&RecordType=0121A000000Qd0T&ent=Task

• So I set up these parameters in the embedded page configuration in Gainsight:

However, I get the same error, "Please select record ids."

So, in the C360 page settings, I tried unselecting the "Page" and manually entering the URL:

https://na28.salesforce.com/00T/eWhich makes the section configuration look like this:

However, when set up in that way, the page simply doesn't render at all in the C360 -- it just leaves a blank white section of the page.

Am I using the "Parameter" feature correctly? Is it able to do what I'm trying to achieve?
icon

Best answer by dave_derington 15 March 2016, 15:42

View original

9 replies

Hi Seth,

Collaborated with our Support and Services teams this morning to follow a couple ideas.  

It may be much easier to implement what you're trying to do via a Report.  Here's the general idea:

1. Create and save a report with the information you want to display
  2. Create a new C360 Section, select Type = Related List, Source = Task 
  3. Then select the report you created from this list
  4. Organize / position according to preference from the C360 Section page
Some guidance is on this page in our Documentation (1st Paragraph under "Add New Customer360 Section")

Here's a screenshot of #2 above:

Otherwise, with your present approach I'd check the following:

1. Replace "Account ID 15" with "Id" (Account ID in full 18 character form)
  2. Make sure the VisualForce page you're using works external to C360
Hoping this provides some guidance
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Thanks, Dave, but unfortunately I believe that you're describing ways that I can [i]display Tasks that exist, whereas I'm actually trying to allow CSMs to [i]create Tasks from within the C360 page. (They can't use the Cockpit functionality and sync-to-Salesforce, since the Tasks in Salesforce need to have specific things selected in their "Type" picklist.)

I can certainly try replacing the 15-character ID with an 18-character ID, and attempt putting that VisualForce page elsewhere to confirm that it works in general. 🙂
We set up a report of activities which then allows them to click "Add" and create a new task.  Our reps have been using this method for non-CTA tasks for the past couple of months and have been pleased with it.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Well that's *very* interesting! Do you know how I can get that "Add" button to appear? I haven't run across a setting for that in my work in Reports.
I just added the report (all activities/tasks) onto the C360 layout and it appeared. I selected Related List and ref Account Id.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Well hot damn, that works just fine for me. Thanks Ellen!
Great work Ellen!  
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Our Director of Customer Success: "Seth, this is life-changing"

The CSM sitting next to her: "Yeah, now I never need to leave the C360 for any customer call. I was living in 2 places before."

Thanks again 🙂 And I'm commenting here -- https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/ability-to-be-able-to-log-a-call-in-gainsight -- since it'd be great to have this more integrated into the Cockpit & C360 interface
Badge
Thank you so much for providing this great tip to Seth, Ellen!