Solved

Churn

• 17 January 2019
  • 7 replies

What are best practices for churn playbooks, CTA reasons, and categories?

icon

Best answer by seth 17 January 2019, 22:45

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Michelle -- Are you thinking about using them to prevent imminent churn, or to take specific actions when a churn happens?

Both but mostly to prevent churn.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Gotcha. I think I may be interpreting your question too broadly, since everything that success, support, services, and even (sometimes) sales does could be described as helping to prevent churn, and that's a lot of playbooks! ????As far as Categories and Reasons, I'd say they're mostly useful for filtering Cockpit and reports, and for building Rules ("do XYZ if a customer has more than 3 Risk CTAs").

• CTA Categories are typically structured around the general type of motion: Risk (like low usage) vs. Opportunity (like upsell) vs. a generic lifecycle event (like a welcome call).

• CTA Reasons are typically the kind of thing that caused the CTA. A Risk could be because of low usage or low NPS. An Opportunity could be upsell or cross-sell or renewal. And so on.

These things are different for every business, so it's great fodder for a brainstorming workshop.

Am I giving you the kind of thoughts you were looking for? I'm curious, what is it that came up that made you ask the question?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Michelle, something we've implemented recently has been a churn survey that goes out to the assigned CSM once the customer moves to "Will Churn". It contains questions about the reasons for churning (Technical Issues, Executive Alignment, Champion Left Company, etc) and then asks the CSM for a root cause analysis. In their opinion, what could we do differently to avoid this churn in the future.

We then review these answers as a team periodically and put together action plans to address each issue (often we see a pattern that points to a larger issue to address).

In addiiton to this, we have a CTA playbook for when a customer churns to notify the teams that need to take action (Finance for billing, etc).

Let me know if this helps - happy to discuss more!

We are looking for different reasons and reporting categories that we should be using for our calls to action.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Michelle, something we've implemented recently has been a churn survey that goes out to the assigned CSM once the customer moves to "Will Churn". It contains questions about the reasons for churning (Technical Issues, Executive Alignment, Champion Left Company, etc) and then asks the CSM for a root cause analysis. In their opinion, what could we do differently to avoid this churn in the future.

We then review these answers as a team periodically and put together action plans to address each issue (often we see a pattern that points to a larger issue to address).

In addiiton to this, we have a CTA playbook for when a customer churns to notify the teams that need to take action (Finance for billing, etc).

Hi @kendra_mcclanahan  - i love the idea of a survey. what “trigger” do you use to make a customer change to “will churn” and what do you use to make the customer turn to “churn”?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @kendra_mcclanahan  - i love the idea of a survey. what “trigger” do you use to make a customer change to “will churn” and what do you use to make the customer turn to “churn”?

@Erseburse today, the CSM will manually update a customer to will churn once we’ve received written notice from the customer. This works best for us as the team might try to run a save play before they finalize the move. For Churn, we update once the renewal opportunity is set to “closed lost”. Hope that helps!