Improve Field Layout when adding new fields in Data Designer

Related products: None

I was making a short video for support to demonstrate a problem when adding a new field in Data Designer, and I wanted to add a field I actually needed. It took me about 90 seconds to click through all of the “show more fields” to find the look up, more “show more fields”, find the other lookup and then get to the field I want. I only went a couple layers deep, and I knew exactly where I was going so it isn’t like there was much durdling around.

I realize there is a search, and had I known the exact name of the field that would have been great. I’m not sure what a good proposed solution is, but it would be great if the navigation would more condusive to quicker navigation. Maybe all of the expandable lookups always appear at the top when something is expanded? That would probably be helpful. If visually you could see what layer you are on, if you could search for the lookup you want, but see all of the fields in that lookup instead of just results matching your search, that would also be great.

Right now it seems super clunky and pretty tedious - even searching the exact name can be a bit perilous, as it may appear multiple places and searching may lead you astray if you’re not careful on the path of the field you’re trying to add having not navigated there yourself.

Hi @bradley 

Currently, this “show more fields” is a change that was shipped for all newer areas of Gainsight. This is a measure that was done to improve the UI performance for objects with lots of fields and lots of lookups. 

The way I see it, the main challenge is that the limit right now is 50 fields. We are working on increasing it to 200 fields so that it number of clicks is reduced significantly. 

Hi @bradley 

Currently, this “show more fields” is a change that was shipped for all newer areas of Gainsight. This is a measure that was done to improve the UI performance for objects with lots of fields and lots of lookups. 

The way I see it, the main challenge is that the limit right now is 50 fields. We are working on increasing it to 200 fields so that it number of clicks is reduced significantly. 

I don’t know that I would agree that the main challenge is the number of fields visable at a time. For me, I think having lookups float to the top of the list would make it far easier. Even if you can display 200 fields, that’s still lots of scrolling to navigate your lookups, not to mention if you have lookups on lookups.

Any updates on this? Definitely a pain point for me as well.

Or even as a short term fix, make the search box larger so that there is less scrolling needed. In many areas of the product the search boxes are super tiny. 

It would be nice to see more than 6 rows of data at a time, especially when the screen area allows for it. :)

A slightly different change that would help with this same pain point is that you could put the top-level fields on the object in their own collapsable group - just like the lookups. That way I can immediately see all the lookups and pick which group I’d like to expand when searching for a particular field.