Data Designer - Promote Number of Records Shown Toggle in UI

Related products: None

I don’t know what memo I missed, but I just now discovered that this button

in table view of Data Designer is what determines how many and which records you see in any data designer visualization  you run for that report. This seems pretty obvious now but I’ve only started using DD again recently and was very puzzled on some of the DD behaviour.

My request is to not limit this to the table view, but have it persistant across every visualization type so you can easily change if you’re seeing 50, 100 or 200 records, and which “page” of the results you’re seeing. 

Not only does this make it easier to use but it would make it more obvious to people that you’re only seeing an extremely limited portion of your records at any given time. In my view, Gainsight should always tell you explicitly when you’re seeing a limited data set regardless of where you are or what you’re doing.

@bradley Thanks for your feedback! Do you mean this should be available for all the visualization types like Pie, column, Bar etc?

@bradley Thanks for your feedback! Do you mean this should be available for all the visualization types like Pie, column, Bar etc?

Absolutely. If the behavior of that pagination and records per page toggle control how many records show up in every visualization, it 100% should be controllable where you’re viewing the data. You shouldn’t have a pie chart up, only see 50 records on page 1, go back to the table, change it to page 2 with 100 records per page and then go back to your pie chart to see that data.

+1 million - @bradley “In my view, Gainsight should always tell you explicitly when you’re seeing a limited data set regardless of where you are or what you’re doing.”

Especially if we want to make reporting easier.  It’s so easy to miss when you aren’t looking at the whole data set unless you’ve been bitten by it and know to look for it.

@heather_hansen Indeed. I’m cringing at my past self and the DD reports I’ve made not realizing this pretty substantial candicap. :face_palm_tone5:

That’s probably on me but seems like it could be a little more obvious.

@sai_ram support indicated this is now a bug, should this be updated? I don’t know if the resolution would be to remove the filtering effect entirely, or work more like my suggestion. At any rate, you’re no longer awaiting my response :)

@sai_ram Can you confirm that the resolution to this is for DD to work off all records in the filtered data set, and not to just show as many records as are displayed on one page in table view?

Hi @bradley 

Any analytics that you see on the explore page happens on the entire data set. This is just to navigate to the next 50 records. (In regular table reports, we have this for 100 records). All the actions happen on the entire data. 

I do understand that showing limited data only might provide wrong results. I do not think that's what Data Design reports do. Let me know if you face any challenges, happy to understand any challenges you face here.