What do you wish you'd known?

• 16 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
  • Gainsight Employee: ACE
  • 548 replies

Yesterday, @justina.petkeviciute and I hosted a “Day in the Life of an Admin” roundtable conversation for folks who recently took their Level 1 Cert. A great question came up:

What do you wish you’d known, back when you were first an admin?

For me, personally, I wish someone had told me to build less. Standardize/improve on one area of CSMs’ work. Then really follow through on enabling the CSMs, seeing how Gainsight was helping (or not), etc.

All y’all experienced admins, how would you answer that question?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Just because you can build it, doesn’t mean you should.  (I still have to remind myself of this!)
  • Constantly do chair-sides to “see” what people are doing.
    • Helps you see where more training might be needed
    • Unearths low hanging fruit that you can quickly tackle for quick wins
    • Calls out processes that might be cumbersome for the end user
    • Enables you to better empathize and understand a day in the life using Gainsight
Badge +2

The driving factor should always be about what the expected outcome is, not what the proposed solution is. It can be easy to drift into a narrow focus on a solution you are working on only to discover it completely missed the mark of what the goal/expected outcome was. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@heather_hansen stole my favorite mantra!

Just because you can build it, doesn’t mean you should. 

And I’ll affirm @seth’s recommendation to build less, especially early on, and assess more.

I’ll come in with another idea:

Some of what we build takes a lot of thought, energy, bandwidth, trial-and-error (and sometimes tears). Even perfectly-built solutions may not “work” because the results weren’t meaningful or the impact not obvious. Or the company changed strategic directions and thus that work isn’t as interesting as it was before.

That’s OK.

That’s progress.

That’s not an indictment of your expertise as a Gainsight Administrator.

When we construct something cool, we can get wrapped up in the personal pride of delivering a solution, and the sunk cost of the efforts to build. We may want to hang onto it as long as possible because “that’s my baby and I love it.” It’s OK--and it’s even wise--to turn things off, to clean up what’s not used, and to move on to something else that’s providing more value in your CSOps space.