Question

Extract data from heterogeneous databases.

Userlevel 4
Badge
Currently, we are unable to fetch data from heterogeneous databases in MDA. Can we make this possible in future?

18 replies

Badge +3
Ankur - Can you clarify your ask/use case?  Do you mean within Gainsight MDA or from outside of Gainsight?

Bionic Rules in this release so fill the gaps with accessing from multiple sources and posting to S3 Export as an option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Denise - in this case Ankur was posting on my behalf re: a support ticket I filed. I was trying to build a report for my customer that was built off an MDA object that contained their usage data. 

I was hoping to run a report showing various metrics by date filtered by their overall health score. So ideally they could have a dashboard that showed "Metric A over past 6 months" by red, yellow and green health customers. I was attempting to reference the "overall score" field in the Company object, but ran into an issue because apparently the database that field lives on does not communicate with the Redshift MDA table where my customer stores their usage data. 
Badge +3
Spencer -

In this case, there probably is a missing join between the usage table and Company standard object - you should be able to use the MDA joins in RedShift using the SFDC ID or the GSID.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Joins are good Denise. We have lookup from MDA custom Object to Company Object to Scoring_scheme_definition. The first two reside in Redshift and the last one in Postgres. Hence the query formed in this case throws the error.
Badge +3
So the scorecard component is where you have the challenge?  You are using Scorecard 2.0 right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Yes and yes
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi Spencer, Sorry for the trouble. I will discuss with our engineering team on this and I will get back to you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi Spencer,Sorry,currently this is a limitation in the product. I am working to get an workaround on this,will update you once I find the workaround.
Hi Spencer,

Let me know if my understanding is correct here....you have a custom MDA object that has data about the usage metrics for different companies over time and you want to report how these metrics are varying across the health score labels.

Would creating a new field in the custom MDA object (that contains usage data) that captures the current health score label of the corresponding company solve the issue? You can then use new this field in reporting (instead of the field looking up to the Scoring scheme definition).You can write a bionic rule which will fetch the health score label of a company and load it into this new field 

Let me know if this works 

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I suppose it would technically, but I still think this is something we need to address so that we're not having to do workarounds for reports like this.
Badge
Wanted to jump in from a customer perspective on this. I just tried to generate a report using data I'd loaded to MDA (so a custom object) which looked up to the Company object (Gainsight standard.) From there I went to the (again totally OOTB from Gainsight Connect) Current Score which failed because of this issue.

I don't have a (valid) view as to how this should be engineered. But I do think that the underlying data structures should be totally transparent to the end user and admin. That I need to go back and create duplicate fields and mappings (rather than using the OOTB connectors) in order to complete this report seems like a miss.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Agree!!
Hi Jeffery,

Agree that this should be possible without the need to write any extra rules. We will be looking into fixing this so that health score is easily available when reporting on custom objects.

One question, apart from the score & score label would you need any other fields in reporting?

Regards
Badge
Great! I don't have anything in mind... but then I didn't know I needed the score label until I went to go build that report so... 🙂
Badge
Adding on to this, seems strange that we provide the ability to see fields from these different databases through joins in report builder when we know the report won't work.

Any idea on a timeline of fixing this? And/Or removing the ability to pick fields from the report builder? We just wasted a few days and man hours on me trying to resolve it, then L1 to trying to, to L2 trying to resolve, then to engineering to understand this issue. 
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have been working with Wayne on this, and agree with his sentiments. There is currently no positive indication that this issue is being pursued for resolution. I would be happy to discuss this issue in another venue, but it would be great to know that this issue was on engineering/dev's radar.
Hi Wayne & Dan,

This is on the roadmap but I do not have an ETA as of no. Also, we will make it easier to possible to create the report rather than prevent the selection of the fields. Will keep you posted on any progress.  

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Do we have any update on this? I have customer having HIGH volume custom object which has a look-up to company table. And the user wants the score value, so the path goes like this -

Custom object → Company(Current Score)→ Score(Scoring Scheme Definition)

But since High volume data object and the Scoring Scheme Definition resides in two different DBs, the look to retrieve score value is not showing up -

Expectation is something like this -